Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#41315 by BobB
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:24 am
I just called the Sales Dept. and was on hold for over 10 minutes. No-one answered. I hung up.
I have a Service Ticket in that's not being taken care of in the timeframe I was promised.

Wake up guys. I think you have a great product with the opertunity to be one of the bigest players in the phone business. But to acheive success you need to talk to new customers before they get fed up and leave. And you need to take care of existing customers in a timely fashion.

I hate to be so negative, but I really like your product and I want it to stay around for a long time. But I don't think it will unless you step up to the plate.

Bob
#41353 by TheWGP
Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:03 pm
Really have to agree on this - I've seen several postings just casually reading, as a new user, where people just gave up and returned the whole shebang to their place of purchase.

Ooma is great if it works out of the box, and it will for most people - but if there's ANY hiccup, people just don't seem to know how to deal with it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that these are always things Ooma can help with - they don't want to be in the business of "sending someone to your house to fix your phone wiring" and so I'm not real sure how to 'convert' these missed opportunities.

That said, there have also been several cases I've seen where people were actually scared off by the support horror stories and things just not working, even without any indicator that they're broken (like the add second number thing). Remember, this is just some casual reading by a new user - not an in-depth search on the forums! Gotta figure for every person who takes time to register and actually mention on the forum that they're giving up on Ooma, there's quite a few more who just don't bother, either because they never found the forum or didn't want to take time to register.

Personally, I haven't NEEDED to call Support yet, or otherwise try to get help - but I AM positively dreading the day it happens!
#41357 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:37 pm
TheWGP,

Don't dread it. If you feel you need to call them, just do it. I bet it'll go fine.

I've called the support folks (4 or 5 times maybe? I dunno exactly). Every time there has been nearly zero wait time, no long hold times as they looked into my issue, and I always got my questions answered.

In addition, I ported from AT&T and it was a completely smooth experience. Quick execution (~3 weeks), and no snags.

Funny thing about customer service... people almost never say anything when they have a GOOD experience.

Cheers,
Mike-o
#41358 by caseybea
Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:55 pm
Mike-o-matic, when ws it you called customer support? Recently, or months back? It sounds like, as of late, calls have been having very long hold times, and very poor response times.

I emailed them 5 days ago with a question. No answer yet. I called them, and got a person who did not seem to know their stuff....

It appears the ONLY reliable method of getting help is calling- again and again and again, based on the posts I'm seeing. As a new ooma customer, this makes me nervous- and wary.
#41359 by SDGeek
Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:37 pm
I just called support to check the status of a number port, and the phone was answered in less a minute. I found out my port has been scheduled for Jan 21st (submitted the request on Jan 3rd). So far so good. If the phone port goes on the date scheduled, all implied service levels would have been exceeded.

The nature of this technology lends itself to some pretty complicated setups. First line technical support would not have the troubleshooting skills to take care of many of the more complex setups. ISPs often tell you that if you have a hardware firewall \ router, that they are not able to even begin to help troubleshooting. I started off my career as a helpdesk technician in the mid 90s with an ISP in Alaska. Internet access for the masses was a relatively new thing, and supporting users that had a hard time grasping the concept of a right click just made things more frustrating for the users calling in for support. In the end, all the technicians that were really good, ended up in a sysadmin role and were no longer on 1st level support, and on goes the cycle of having tier one support personnel who are not highly trained in advanced troubleshooting techniques.
#41382 by amoney
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm
Ooma I think is trying but obviously there needs to be alot more improvement. For problem issues and no follow up is very bad. Ooma needs to find another company that can do a better helpdesk job. Ultimately if Ooma does not improve its support, Ooma is going to have a tarnished brand name and that will never make it.

I have had good customer experience however there are a time or two that I had to keep calling back untill someone answered. So in my expereince wait times were less than 3 min, anything more like 5+ I try calling back after 10 minutes.
#41385 by stubeeef
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 pm
the times I have called, things have been resolved. The problem-I waited FOREVER to get someone. I had the phone on speaker and went about doing things and had forgotten about it by the time someone answered.
I too believe they are screwing up on this, it may cost money, but I know it is costing revenue now. I almost didn't do it, I will pull the plug if either the phone or customer service is lacking. I am paying for Premier for a reason-give Ooma $$$. Other than caller ID I don't give a crap for all the extras (maybe second line is cool too).
It will be impossible to overcome a bad customer service reputation. I used to have Cingular (now ATT) and the customer service was so bad I will NEVER use ATT again-no matter what. ATT could spend thousand to market me and get zip.
Ooma-don't make this problem yours. Apple had a small cult following for years ( I have been one for 20+ years) but they have always had great phone support (always at the top of Consumer Report surveys)-it has kept them alive in bad years and vaulted them in good.
There is a good cult following for Ooma here but the forum regulars won't be able to fend off the complaints of bad phone support forever.
Fix the issue-Be successful. :!:
#41391 by caseybea
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm
SDGeek wrote:
The nature of this technology lends itself to some pretty complicated setups. First line technical support would not have the troubleshooting skills to take care of many of the more complex setups. ISPs often tell you that if you have a hardware firewall \ router, that they are not able to even begin to help troubleshooting...........

Based on what I'm seeing here in the forums, I think the majority of the problems people are getting NO help on are simple things: why an account purchase that was supposed to be 'premiere' didn't happen- why a phone-number-port request apparently 'vanished', or why, when a unit was working perfectly fine, did all incoming calls simple cease when a person upgraded to premiere service.

Yes, due to the number of unit connection(s) possible mixed with a home's internal phone wiring and router/modem setup- there's obviously tons of ways to screw it up. That kind of support is going to be hit or miss, depending on how technical the support person is.

The core problem people are reporting is WAY more basic than that. Support, when it happens, is overall- unresponsive.

Dear Ooma: For god's sake, please dump the so-called "support center" in the Phillipines, move it back to the States, and staff with people that actually give a rip about the customers that are calling. :shock:
#41412 by jmassimilla
Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 am
My limited use of CS has been ok to date. I've dealt with many large company support centers, including Verizon and Vonage and have fouund them all to be sub par, especially Verizon. I had a nightmare experience with them 4 years ago that took a month to straighten out. Every person you talked to had a different story and their support center was U.S. based!
#41431 by amoney
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 am
talk about lousy support, Comcast is a real winner, lol. If there is a problem the only way to get through is to select purchase new service, then you get a rep real fast!

ATT is another disaster, long ago before they gobbled up all the Bells they were terrific, now its miserable.