Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#41015 by bw1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:08 am
VicMatson wrote:
bw1 wrote:
fahdandemily wrote:I didn't even port a number over to ooma. I had no landline service or other VOIP service prior to signing up for ooma. I love the concept of ooma and that is why I upgraded from the Hub to the Telo despite having dropped call issues with the Hub, but this is getting ridiculous. My wife is ready for me to cancel the service and get something else, and I am resisting returning everything in the hope of making this work.


Did you reboot your Telo?

Have you connected to the setup page: http://setup.ooma.com/ and checked the status of the device?
My telo worked without going to any setup page, and to tell you the truth I still don't know what a setup page is or how to get to it.


See this post above: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5751&view=unread#p40873

VicMatson wrote:
Btw, I've noticed a degradation in Qos, but I figured Ooma reduced the codec to make room for their new HD G722 codec.


I don't think reducing the codec is possible.
#41018 by bw1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 am
fahdandemily wrote:I rebooted the Telo and that didn't help the problem. What exactly am I looking for in the setup website though? Is there some hidden option that prevents outgoing calls from working?


You can see the status and connection info. There are options that you can try such as setting the MAC address to use built in instead of automatic.

Do you have an integrated landline?
#41019 by VicMatson
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 am
I don't think reducing the codec is possible.

Yea, it is! I don't know if you were trying to be funny but Ooma did. Vonage lets you set it, the higher you go the better the call but the more bandwidth you use.
#41022 by bw1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 am
VicMatson wrote:
I don't think reducing the codec is possible.

Yea, it is! I don't know if you were trying to be funny but Ooma did. Vonage lets you set it, the higher you go the better the call but the more bandwidth you use.


What are you referring to?

Ooma uses the iLBC codec with optional access to the G.711 codec. They don't have a sliding scale to adjust the bitrate. I don't know how Vonage works other than reading that they have an adjustment.
#41036 by murphy
Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 am
The Ooma hub also has an adjustment.
It has not been implemented on the Telo.
#41041 by VicMatson
Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am
bw1 wrote:
VicMatson wrote:
I don't think reducing the codec is possible.

Yea, it is! I don't know if you were trying to be funny but Ooma did. Vonage lets you set it, the higher you go the better the call but the more bandwidth you use.


What are you referring to?

Ooma uses the iLBC codec with optional access to the G.711 codec. They don't have a sliding scale to adjust the bitrate. I don't know how Vonage works other than reading that they have an adjustment.

I no longer have the option for G711. It was taken away a while ago, might of been in December. In another thread here in these forums a mod said you could PM(or whatever this forum calls it) him and he will change you back to G.711. I haven't gotten a response from him so I must assume he didn't do it.
#41057 by fahdandemily
Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:56 am
After rebooting everything (my combined DSL modem/router and ooma telo) a few times then searching around the setup.ooma.com page on the Telo, the outgoing calls have spontaneously started working (for now), but now for some reason all the lights on the Telo are off. The only thing I actually changed in the setup website was increasing the upload bandwith from the default too 600kbps, but why that should affect the lights or the inherent ability to even MAKE a call I don't understand.

Is there some hidden option in the Telo that allows it to turn off the lights? I know I did not actually change ANYTHING except the upload/outgoing bandwith. The only other thing I noticed is that after rebooting my router and telo the dsl router told me it found another device on the network trying to act as a router and that it could cause a conflict. I told the DSL router to resolve it on its own and that allowed the internet to start working (it had stopped when I rebooted everything ) and perhaps enabled the outbound calls, but I don't really get what is going on here. Any ideas?
#41059 by VicMatson
Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 pm
fahdandemily wrote:After rebooting everything (my combined DSL modem/router and ooma telo) a few times then searching around the setup.ooma.com page on the Telo, the outgoing calls have spontaneously started working (for now), but now for some reason all the lights on the Telo are off. The only thing I actually changed in the setup website was increasing the upload bandwith from the default too 600kbps, but why that should affect the lights or the inherent ability to even MAKE a call I don't understand.

Is there some hidden option in the Telo that allows it to turn off the lights? I know I did not actually change ANYTHING except the upload/outgoing bandwith. The only other thing I noticed is that after rebooting my router and telo the dsl router told me it found another device on the network trying to act as a router and that it could cause a conflict. I told the DSL router to resolve it on its own and that allowed the internet to start working (it had stopped when I rebooted everything ) and perhaps enabled the outbound calls, but I don't really get what is going on here. Any ideas?

Yes, I can't remember, but turning them on and off(and in between) instructions are in the Quick setup guide that came in the box.
#41065 by bw1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm
VicMatson wrote:
bw1 wrote:
VicMatson wrote:Yea, it is! I don't know if you were trying to be funny but Ooma did. Vonage lets you set it, the higher you go the better the call but the more bandwidth you use.


What are you referring to?

Ooma uses the iLBC codec with optional access to the G.711 codec. They don't have a sliding scale to adjust the bitrate. I don't know how Vonage works other than reading that they have an adjustment.

I no longer have the option for G711. It was taken away a while ago, might of been in December. In another thread here in these forums a mod said you could PM(or whatever this forum calls it) him and he will change you back to G.711. I haven't gotten a response from him so I must assume he didn't do it.


You are correct that they took away the option in MyOoma to set the high bandwidth codec (G.711) for Hub users. Telo users can still set Fax Mode (which also uses G.711).

Like you've seen, Hub users can request Ooma to make the change to their account. You can also dial *99 to use G.711 codec for outgoing calls. :idea:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests