Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#40588 by alancommike
Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 pm
Thought I'd post a happy story since there's so many installations that seem to have gone bad. I installed my Telo + Handset last night. Bought it at Costco, so it comes with an extended Premier trial package. The Telo came right up, downloaded the new firmware and got a VPN connection right away. I had no problems activating with ooma.com, it even had the extended Premier trial. Telo Handset sync'ed up just fine. I had an hour long conference call today that went great. I have some background buzz, but it's minimal. A few more days of testing it out and I'll order a few more handsets and start porting my number.

The only issue was the Kaspersky virus checker was blocking http://setup.ooma.com. I've been turning Kaspersky off more and more often lately, though it took too long for me to realize that might be the problem since the page partially displayed.

My setup:

cable model -> netgear firewall -> gige switch -> Telo

I have the LAN and WAN ports of the Telo both going into the switch with the Telo assigned a static DHCP address based on its external MAC address. I port forwarded the WAN address to the internal 172.27.35.1 NAT address, which works fine, though it would be nice if the LAN side of the Telo would act as a DHCP client rather than server. The port forward is a bit of a kludge.

I haven't setup any QOS yet, that's on the todo list. I can do QOS through the gigE switch and firewall to manage the bandwidth rather than letting Telo do it. I'm a big fan of each device does it's own thing. Telo does phone, that's it. It's job isn't to manage the bandwidth. From a consumer viewpoint though, I'm impressed with what Ooma has done to simplify the average household setup. Someone thought this through and did a good job of it.

...alan
#40589 by southsound
Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 pm
Alan,
Thanks for the post. I'm sure you are going to have a continuing wonderful experience with ooma. Welcome to the forum and to the ooma family. The slight buzz you are experiencing might be if you chose to integrate your landline with the new Telo. Some folks have reported that. But it goes away after your port is complete. Pull up a stool, have a sip of something good, and enjoy the forum. Lots of good people here and you will fit right in. :cool:
#40593 by familyman
Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:59 pm
I bought the telo system in December and have been using it for outgoing calls while waiting for my tele-phone number to port. It works excellent, the online voicemail is awesome very easy to use and the settings and controls under "my ooma" are also super. I feel like I have the power to control my telephone service now.

I had another line added but I understand that I must have a telo to make it work right? Very concerned about that because I have not heard good things about the handset? :?

I was wondering if any 2 line tele-phone system plugged into the ooma will work the same way?

Are there any plans to make the handset better?
#40624 by legh1
Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am
The 2-line system phone plugged into the telo will NOT work the same way. You need the handset.
I work from home and use the handset on a second line and it's great! I use the speaker option for my meetings and can hear just fine. I still have vonage (until pre-paid expires) and ooma sounds at least at good if not better.

The only problem I see with the handset is that the battery dies within 2 days off the charger.
#40626 by alancommike
Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 am
Southsound -

No landline connected. Right now I don't have anything on the POTS ports. I'll eventually hook up a POTS phone to see if the buzz is coming from the DECT side or directly from the Telo. It sounds like they have gain turned up too high somewhere in the chain.

Thank you and all the other regulars here for a great start at building an Ooma community.

...alan