Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#40647 by blacknoi
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am
So the original ooma system users are SOL here?

I honestly could care less about all those improvements except for the better voice codec (HD or whatever they want to call it).

That is my #1 complaint about the ooma system (original, not sure how the telo sounds). The voice quality was always subpar to POTS, other VoIP, and Cellular.
#40654 by southsound
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:27 am
Big Boy Laroux wrote:hmmm, i like the idea of an iphone app, but why charge for it? We're already ooma customers. Skype's app is free to download.

I totally understand your discontent. It's like when I went to the supermarket two days ago and bought a gallon of milk. Today I wanted to have chocolate milk so I went back to the store. Imagine my surprise when they wanted to charge me extra for a box of Nestles Quick! I bought the milk. Even have the receipt for it. Now they are wanting to charge me extra for the chocolate. I don't recall seeing anything on the gallon of milk that said there would be an extra charge if I wanted to add chocolate to it.

By the way, don't bother with downloading the Skype app. It doesn't work with ooma. No wonder it's free :P
#40656 by southsound
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 am
blacknoi wrote:So the original ooma system users are SOL here?

I honestly could care less about all those improvements except for the better voice codec (HD or whatever they want to call it).

That is my #1 complaint about the ooma system (original, not sure how the telo sounds). The voice quality was always subpar to POTS, other VoIP, and Cellular.

Interesting because many of us have been extremely happy with voice quality on the hub. I have both the hub and Telo and right now the voice quality is the same on both - and at least as good as my landline. I use some pretty nice Uniden DECT 6.0 phones with both systems and love the clean sound. My Internet is nothing special - just 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up. I have tried to keep the phone wiring pretty neat and use high quality cables, but your system should be capable of the same high quality.

Maybe you could describe the problem with sound on the hub and tell us how you have it connected. Also, what is your Internet source - cable or DSL and what speed? How about the phones you have connected? Maybe with all of us looking at it, we can get you the quality you would like on your hub.
#40662 by blacknoi
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 am
southsound wrote:
blacknoi wrote:So the original ooma system users are SOL here?

Interesting because many of us have been extremely happy with voice quality on the hub. I have both the hub and Telo and right now the voice quality is the same on both - and at least as good as my landline. I use some pretty nice Uniden DECT 6.0 phones with both systems and love the clean sound. My Internet is nothing special - just 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up. I have tried to keep the phone wiring pretty neat and use high quality cables, but your system should be capable of the same high quality.

Maybe you could describe the problem with sound on the hub and tell us how you have it connected. Also, what is your Internet source - cable or DSL and what speed? How about the phones you have connected? Maybe with all of us looking at it, we can get you the quality you would like on your hub.

I don't want to hijack, but I will for one post.

Cable, 16.5 down / 2 Up
hub hooked directly up to the cable modem.
Phones hooked up: Uniden TRU8885-2 5.8 GHz Digital Cordless Phone with Dual Handsets and Answering System http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-TRU8885-2-Cordless-Handsets-Answering/dp/B0001F9KLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262889955&sr=8-1

The quality has never been *terrible* but definitely not quite as good as what ViaTalk offers me (I have both). I could describe the quality as sounding like a GSM half-rate codec. Slighly grungy sounding, and not crisp as I would think. I'm fairly certain I've had it set up correctly because when i interchange my viatalk SIP for the ooma hub using the same phone, and setup, viatalk just sounds a bit better to my ear.

Regardless of all this, I always hoped that voice calls would one day have their bandwidth increased to sound more natural (kind of what skype pc to pc calls already sound like). At least the telo folks, like vonage will now have this capability.
#40674 by southsound
Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 am
Rich Buchanan on Twitter wrote: GVE, HD, Bluetooth are Telo only, SIP and Pure Voice are all products. HD and GVE are Premier only.
#40677 by Big Boy Laroux
Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:29 am
southsound wrote:
Big Boy Laroux wrote:hmmm, i like the idea of an iphone app, but why charge for it? We're already ooma customers. Skype's app is free to download.

I totally understand your discontent. It's like when I went to the supermarket two days ago and bought a gallon of milk. Today I wanted to have chocolate milk so I went back to the store. Imagine my surprise when they wanted to charge me extra for a box of Nestles Quick! I bought the milk. Even have the receipt for it. Now they are wanting to charge me extra for the chocolate. I don't recall seeing anything on the gallon of milk that said there would be an extra charge if I wanted to add chocolate to it.

By the way, don't bother with downloading the Skype app. It doesn't work with ooma. No wonder it's free :P

hmmm, skype app worked for me...

i understand your point, that we're accessing the ooma network from a different device. but if they are going to limit usage, and if you have to be a current ooma customer (having bought an expensive box (although i do love mine and it has paid for itself), why not make it free? just like everything else, they'll probably make it free for premier users (which i don't have an issue with).

also, you should buy already made chocolate milk. That will solve your dilemma.