Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#40060 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:35 pm
During this school break, I've committed to getting Ooma up and running in my house. The Hub is working fine after some initial glitches with activation.

My Ooma set-up:
The Hub is connected to my main phone line (a 2nd line with 2 jacks is non-functional in my home office). It is also my DSL line connected to a modem and router for my wireless network. I have a one-handset cordless phone base connected to the Hub.

The Scout problem:
I'm trying to get the Scout to run in my kitchen with another cordless phone base (supporting two-handsets). It is plugged into a jack for my main phone line. I've double checked the set-up according to the Quick Start Guide and have rebooted but continue to get the red Ooma tab and bottom keys lit up in red (reverse, stop, play, forward). According to the Guide, when these keys are lit up I need to be sure that the Hub is powered with a blue Ooma tab (it is), the Scout wall part is plugged into the wall jack (it is), and if multiple lines in the house be sure that the Hub and Scout are connected to the same line (they are).

Now what??
#40062 by murphy
Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm
The hub wall jack and the scout wall jack must be connected to the same house line and that line can not have a DSL signal on it.
#40078 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:41 pm
Good grief - so I won't be able to use the Scout at all since I have DSL? This sounds odd since so many people have DSL to have a system that won't work.

Is there some type of work around?
#40079 by southsound
Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:42 pm
No. The scout will work fine, you just need to put in on its own set of wires.

First off, try setting the scout next to the hub and connect wall port to wall port with a short cable. This should enable the blue tab on the scout to work and also allow a phone connected to the scout to operate properly.

If all that works, then you need to creat the same"clean path" (free from DSL signals) between where your hub is located and the kitchen. This can either be a new cable or you can use a second unused pair that is now running in your walls. If you look behind the wall plates, you will probably find that there are more than just two wires. You may have red, green, yellow, and black (what we call "quad") or the newer white/blue, white/orange, white/green pairs from Cat 3 wiring. Your existing DSL is probably on the white/blue or red/green pair. If the other pairs are there, you can either use a 2 jack wall plate and choose one pair to feed the second jack, or for about the same dollars, connect up the second pair to the unused screws of your wall plate and purchase a couple of 2 line adapters. The correct ones will be marked with L1 and L2 jacks. Then use the L2 jacks on each end to connect up the scout and hub.

If any of this doesn't make sense, feel free to reply. After things work, let us know. :cool:
#40104 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:30 pm
Ok - so my Scout worked great as did the phone attached when I "piggybacked" it to the Hub as suggested. Thanks!

I think I understand the wiring issue - but it's not a do-it-yourself project (for me anyway). This would be a phone line job for a retired phone person, right?

Ultimately, I want to port my home number and keep the new Ooma number I selected so that I can have two lines for people to call (one for family and the other for my professional contacts and students). Would the wiring process be different if I want to use two numbers?
#40114 by southsound
Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 pm
Cozyone wrote:Ok - so my Scout worked great as did the phone attached when I "piggybacked" it to the Hub as suggested. Thanks!
Great! Then the rest should be a piece of cake.
I think I understand the wiring issue - but it's not a do-it-yourself project (for me anyway). This would be a phone line job for a retired phone person, right?
It could well be either. Phone wiring is not rocket science and since it low voltage (except for 90V low current ringing voltage) totally harmless to work with. If the phone rings when you are holding the red and green wires, all it will do is make you tingle and apolgize to your spouse for the nasty word you uttered as the ringing voltage got your attention. However, since the economy is really bad, a retired phone person could do the work - if they understood what you wanted. You can PM me (click the envelope below the cute raccoon) for my phone number if the installer needs to talk to me.
Ultimately, I want to port my home number and keep the new Ooma number I selected so that I can have two lines for people to call (one for family and the other for my professional contacts and students). Would the wiring process be different if I want to use two numbers?
Exactly the same. The walll to wall connection carries a data signal via HPNA and it doesn't matter what the configuration of numbers is, it will still work great. If you also wanted to have the second number in your office, you could either use a handset off the kitchen wireless base or you could loop that signal back to the office and use a two line phone. Again, the wiring would be the same. We might have to have you connect the jacks a tad differently, but it would be an easy matter of just plugging things in differently.