Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#39738 by brosner
Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:41 pm
OK My Telo works fine with my phones plugged into the WALL jack. What I want is to connect a FAX machine to the telo PHONE jack and use it as second number solely for fax. I realize that I have to enable FAX mode on the second phone number bu do I have to do anything else and will I be able to receive faxes seamlessly on the second phone number.
I understand the networking setup pretty well but I am total confused as to why there are two phone jacks on my Telo.
#39746 by southsound
Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:15 pm
brosner wrote:OK My Telo works fine with my phones plugged into the WALL jack. What I want is to connect a FAX machine to the telo PHONE jack and use it as second number solely for fax. I realize that I have to enable FAX mode on the second phone number bu do I have to do anything else and will I be able to receive faxes seamlessly on the second phone number.
I understand the networking setup pretty well but I am total confused as to why there are two phone jacks on my Telo.

I believe you mean that you have your phones plugged into the PHONE jack of the Telo. The WALL jack has no function unless you want to integrate your landline (something I personally recommend against).

Unfortunatly, the Telo does not have wired access to the second line - so the only way to use your fax is to:

1. Set up distictive ringing on both your fax machine (if it supports it) and on your second line. Your fax machine plugs into the PHONE jack and your telephones plug into the fax machine.

2. Plug your fax machine into the Telo and use Telo proprietary handsets for your voice calls.

If you use your fax machine a lot it might have been better to purchase the older hub/scout "core" pachage that supports two wired lines. Fax goes to the hub and the scout powers the rest of your phones. Each device has its own number.
#39857 by brosner
Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm
Thanks you are correct my phone is plugged into the the PHONE jack. Is there any downside to getting a hub and scout for two independent lines like lack of support or the product being discontinued soon?
#39858 by daet
Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:27 pm
brosner wrote:Thanks you are correct my phone is plugged into the the PHONE jack. Is there any downside to getting a hub and scout for two independent lines like lack of support or the product being discontinued soon?

Short answer - I don't know if there is any disadvantage to the hub/scout solution; AFAIK the product is still supported. Ooma has said they will offer T.38 FOIP support in the future - and I don't know whether both the Hub and the Telo will be supported for the latter.
#39873 by southsound
Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 pm
brosner wrote:Thanks you are correct my phone is plugged into the the PHONE jack. Is there any downside to getting a hub and scout for two independent lines like lack of support or the product being discontinued soon?

ooma has said that they will continue to support the hub/scout "core" package. They are discontinuing it in the future for a number of reasons they have shared and probably some others as well. Those they have shared include high cost of manufacture, a proprietary chip that prevents some features (like incoming DTMF) due to contractural reason, and the ability to use a more powerful processor and more flexible VoIP engine. As Daet has said, the hub may not get some of the new features - but that is unknown even in the beta community.

I love my hub and have been growing to love my Telo. Today I had the clearest, cleanest 67 minute conversation between Shelton, WA and South Lake Tahoe, CA. It could have been on a radion station audio line - it was awesome. I was using my Telo with a Uniden DECT 6.0 base and two handsets connected. You will have to make the personal decision as to which system will work best for you. For me, I will probably move everything over to the Telo at some time and gift the hub to a friend or family. I hope this helps!