Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#39244 by WayneDude
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:11 pm
I've installed my Ooma and it seems to be working perfectly, but I still have a big outstanding issue and would like to know if anybody has encountered it.

I have an old Ademco security system that seems to do only pulse dialing. I've purchased a pulse to tone converter http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-tone-converter.html and hooked it up just in front of the Ooma Telo.

In theory this should work, but the Ademco system reports failed communication when doing its check in call to the central station.

Has anybody solved this problem?
#39255 by murphy
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:37 pm
What is the model of the Ademco system.
It would have to be over 50 years old to not know how to do touch tone dialing.
#39274 by daet
Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:02 pm
murphy wrote:What is the model of the Ademco system.
It would have to be over 50 years old to not know how to do touch tone dialing.

I don't know what model the OP has, but the 4152 (Vector 2000) is about 20-25 years old and doesn't support tone dialing. The 4153 (Vector 3000) is pulse by default, but is switchable to tone - don't remember the key sequence. In either event, it is time for an upgrade!
#39387 by southsound
Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:05 pm
Soundjudgment wrote:I am shocked that there is even a Telco CO which accepts Pulse-dialing these days.

I think our local Central Office still uses the original Strowger switches. Probably why we just got DSL this past January. It must be difficult to ingegrate a 1XB with a DSLAM. :P

Image
#39404 by WayneDude
Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:22 am
Yes, it is a Ademco 4152 Vector 2000 system and probably about 20 years old (came with the house) and has worked flawlessly, so an upgrade just to do tone dialing makes no sense and would obviate any cost savings by switching to Ooma and dumping AT&T.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?
#39440 by daet
Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 am
WayneDude wrote:Yes, it is a Ademco 4152 Vector 2000 system and probably about 20 years old (came with the house) and has worked flawlessly, so an upgrade just to do tone dialing makes no sense and would obviate any cost savings by switching to Ooma and dumping AT&T.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?

I missed this from your earlier post:

In theory this should work, but the Ademco system reports failed communication when doing its check in call to the central station.

I think your pulse-to-tone converter is working just fine. The issue is a communication failure after that. This is resolved for for many devices such as fax machines and alarm systems by choosing the G711 codec (insert *99-) before the dialing sequence.

I don't know how you would insert that in a pulse dialing sequence. OTOH, some kind of programmable pulse-to-tone converter that will permit you to inject a prefix before dialing will probably work. This may be possible with the Rotatone or Dialgizmo - for example, by saving the dialing string to a speed-dial number, and then configuring the alarm panel to dial the speed-dial number.
#39475 by southsound
Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:28 am
WayneDude wrote: I have an old Ademco security system that seems to do only pulse dialing. I've purchased a pulse to tone converter http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-to-tone-converter.html and hooked it up just in front of the Ooma Telo.

In theory this should work, but the Ademco system reports failed communication when doing its check in call to the central station.

This is a long shot, but how does the alarm system receive dialtone from the converter? Did you rewire things so it feeds the alarm panel through the RJ31X jack that the alarm is plugged into or is it getting dialtone because you have fed the signal through one of the house's phone jacks?

Alarm systems are designed to disconnect the house's phone jacks when they report or call in to the central station. Typically when the alarm was installed the telco signal was rerouted through the RJ31X so that this is accomplished by the alarm panel. If you are not feeding the alarm through the RJ31X, you can do so in one of two ways. You can go to the Network Interface Box (demarc) and connect to the wires that go directly to the RJ31X or you can go directly to the RJ31X and connect the Telo to the R and T terminals. If you do this the alarm panel will automatically feed the rest of the house using the R1 and T1 terminals.

Again, this is a long shot but I wanted to make sure it was not a problem with how the panel was being fed dialtone.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests