Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#38882 by scoutconnor
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:23 pm
Hello all, around a month back Ooma promised that call forwarding if the hub/ telo was offline would become a core feature ( I think it was Rich B. On Twitter). Does anyone know if this has occured yet? I am looking around My Ooma and there is nothing listed as an option for this.
I NEED this feature and am very disappinted in Ooma's failure to deliver. I know Rich is the CMO and marketing is his job but if making false statements just to sell more hubs is what needs to be done, I am losing faith in Ooma.
#38891 by byersthja
Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:12 am
I posted the same question in a thread on December 21, but never got a reply. I am in the process of porting my Verizon number to Ooma. The port is scheduled to be completed on January 7. I'm hoping they have this feature available to basic users soon. It should have always been a basic feature. One thing about VoIP that makes people nervous is the inability to make/receive calls during a power outage or internet outage. Every VoIP provider should give its customers the ability to receive calls on a forwarded number during these kinds of outages.
#38894 by dsinternet
Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 am
Rich Buchaman said that we would see this the first week of December, but it still is not part of basic. I would be nice to know what the timeline will be.
#38897 by bw1
Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:16 am
byersthja wrote:Every VoIP provider should give its customers the ability to receive calls on a forwarded number during these kinds of outages.

Technically, Ooma does " give its customers the ability to receive calls on a forwarded number during these kinds of outages". But they charge extra for it. All other VoIP providers also charge a monthly fee for that capability along with their service.

I'm on record as saying that they should provide it as part of the basic service, but I can see why that might cause issues for them. Someone could setup call forwarding on outage to their cell phone and then unplug their Ooma device and then get "free" call forwarding. The problem with that is that Ooma has to pay call termination charges for each call that's forwarded, whereas, calls that go to Ooma voicemail are free.

I can see, for example, someone wanting to setup their parents with an Ooma system and not needing premier, but still ensuring that they get calls during an occasional power or internet outage.

I don't know, perhaps they can put a limit on calls forwarded and charge abusers.
#38942 by byersthja
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 am
I hadn't thought of the abusers getting free call forwarding by unplugging their Ooma device. Ooma will need put a time limit of or a limit on the number of forwarded calls. Most power outages aren't more then a couple of hours, so the time limit may be their best avenue.
#38949 by dsinternet
Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:50 pm
I agree with byersthja,
A time limit would work. I do use it when I move my Ooma on a vacation. Leave in the morning from home and about 8 hours later I am at my parents place getting my phone service back on line. Just unplug in one place and plug back in again at the new location.
I would suggest 24 hours. Moving your Ooma Telo seems like a fair reason to have it unplug. I would guess most trips can be completed within 24 hours.