Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#38321 by MsCoulter
Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 pm
"Verizon Freedom Day" has finally arrived! My number has finally ported (5 weeks) and I can begin actually using the ooma. Yeah!!! :P :D

I have some additional wiring to do though. One strange thing is that I still have a verizon dial tone on the phones that are not on the ooma yet. Is that for emergencies?
#38324 by Mike-o-Matic
Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:17 pm
That rings a bell (no pun intended) as something that Verizon POTS does, but I can't verify that for sure. I take it you can't call anybody other than 911, right?

You could find out by disconnecting the local loop at your Network Interface box (likely a green plastic box just outside your home, where the Verizon wiring enters). If you unplug their wire inside the box, and the dialtone goes away, then there you have it.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on reaching your POTS Freedom day :-)
#38342 by MsCoulter
Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:28 pm
Thank you, thank you! That may be correct that it is there for 911 use...i'll find out if it is still there in a few days. I called Verizon to cancel the POTS and they said it was already canceled automatically by the LOA for the number being ported...go figure!

FOLLOW-UP: The dialtone on the POTS line disappeared today.
Last edited by MsCoulter on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#38500 by byersthja
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:29 pm
MsCoulter wrote:"Verizon Freedom Day" has finally arrived! My number has finally ported (5 weeks) and I can begin actually using the ooma. Yeah!!! :P :D

Congrats. I will be joining you soon. I began the port process from Verizon to Ooma on Monday the 21st, and was give a January 7 port date. Hopefully January 7 will be my Verizon Freedom Day.
#38505 by MsCoulter
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:34 pm
byersthja wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:"Verizon Freedom Day" has finally arrived! My number has finally ported (5 weeks) and I can begin actually using the ooma. Yeah!!! :P :D

Congrats. I will be joining you soon. I began the port process from Verizon to Ooma on Monday the 21st, and was give a January 7 port date. Hopefully January 7 will be my Verizon Freedom Day.

Good luck! :D
#42933 by The Talker
Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm
I'm FFREEeeeeeeeeee

What a long agonizing road for me. It's all working for the most part. Now to get this to ring all through to the hard wired lines in the house. I've read here *somewhere* that I need to do some wiring changes to the little box outside my house. That kinda scares me as I am not too inclined when it comes to wires en' stuff.

How long should I wait before contacting Verizon to cancel my phone line account? I know that may sound silly, but is it done automatically?
Attachments
free_free.jpg
free_free.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
#42941 by caseybea
Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 pm
The Talker wrote:
How long should I wait before contacting Verizon to cancel my phone line account? I know that may sound silly, but is it done automatically?

SOME people have discovered that once their number was ported, that their old landline (or whatever) provider account was closed, automatically. Others have reported they still had to contact the old company, and formally close their account.

If I were you, I'd make the call. And if your number has been ported-- there's NO need to "wait".
#43032 by MsCoulter
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm
The Talker wrote:I'm FFREEeeeeeeeeee

What a long agonizing road for me. It's all working for the most part. Now to get this to ring all through to the hard wired lines in the house. I've read here *somewhere* that I need to do some wiring changes to the little box outside my house. That kinda scares me as I am not too inclined when it comes to wires en' stuff.

Congrats! I love that photo too! ;-)
#43063 by murphy
Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 pm
Verizon does their switching after midnight. I would expect it to be dead tomorrow morning.
On the other hand they sometimes leave a line active for a while so you can call them and re-order service.