Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#37889 by mutt
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:31 pm
It appears that OOMA is very much Fluff...

well,

It appears that you still have to spend massive amts of time to get to customer srvc. They are nice, but, clearly, even the Level 3 tecnicians, don't know what they are talking about- And the technicians say half truths about the system...They told me that I could access my second line voicemail from a seperate on line account- untrue. The voicemails never showed up- on the second line- were not e-mailed- nor do they show up under the call info, and voicemail. SO go figure!

I am beginning to see that there are very little differences in OOMA and the one other generic VOIP sytem that I tried. turns out that the OOMA appears to be hype. works great, looks great, feels great, but....

Honestly, the VOIP quality is the same as with the other VOIP carrier I tried last week- Voice quality- exactly the same. The other VOIP system I tried uses a generic Linksys PAP2 adapter.

Plus, On the generic system I have complete control over the set-up, settings, Caller ID settings, etc, etc- Your ISp even lets you in the back door and gives you access to the settings in the Router Modems, etc.

OOMA doesn't let you in the back door of their adapter to adjust or even look at those settings. They want to maintain control of those- That seems suspect.

Voicemail appears to be basically the same as well. excpet that you have the pretty ooma hub, and the pretty ooma scout- but at a heavy cost.

Bottom line- Cosmetically, The OOMA looks and feelks great.

Honestly, the bottom line is that the generic VOIP that I tried thru the Linksys adapter worked just as well

OOMA Technical support said that they set up my second line, but, you can't access it from the the My OOMA website- even after the scout device was named and has a password added.

It is not what it is cracked up to be.

OOMA appears to be a cuddly, fluffy VOIP service- nothing more-

Sorry guys, I gave it a second chance- Not impressed!

Going back to my Verizon- they are now offering me a year package of FIOS w/ high speed internet- 200 channel TV service, and unlimited phone service for a bundle of $90.00 total- tax included- add 4.99 and I get the international discounts of about 3 cents per min. when that expires, I may drop them and try something different.

But, OOMA is too time consuming and really doesn't provide me with what I need. I think I spent much $$$ on my time already-

Too much aggravation- Spent massive hours on this OOMA project- I Guess I am a Dummy. I guess corporate america is stupid as they invest about $350 - $500 k per year into my services.

just call me a Dummy!

Back to traditional communications convention for this dummy!
#37931 by allo
Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:06 am
mutt wrote:It appears that OOMA is very much Fluff...

well,

It appears that you still have to spend massive amts of time to get to customer srvc. They are nice, but, clearly, even the Level 3 tecnicians, don't know what they are talking about- And the technicians say half truths about the system...They told me that I could access my second line voicemail from a seperate on line account- untrue. The voicemails never showed up- on the second line- were not e-mailed- nor do they show up under the call info, and voicemail. SO go figure!

I am beginning to see that there are very little differences in OOMA and the one other generic VOIP sytem that I tried. turns out that the OOMA appears to be hype. works great, looks great, feels great, but....

Honestly, the VOIP quality is the same as with the other VOIP carrier I tried last week- Voice quality- exactly the same. The other VOIP system I tried uses a generic Linksys PAP2 adapter.

Plus, On the generic system I have complete control over the set-up, settings, Caller ID settings, etc, etc- Your ISp even lets you in the back door and gives you access to the settings in the Router Modems, etc.

OOMA doesn't let you in the back door of their adapter to adjust or even look at those settings. They want to maintain control of those- That seems suspect.

Voicemail appears to be basically the same as well. excpet that you have the pretty ooma hub, and the pretty ooma scout- but at a heavy cost.

Bottom line- Cosmetically, The OOMA looks and feelks great.

Honestly, the bottom line is that the generic VOIP that I tried thru the Linksys adapter worked just as well

OOMA Technical support said that they set up my second line, but, you can't access it from the the My OOMA website- even after the scout device was named and has a password added.

It is not what it is cracked up to be.

OOMA appears to be a cuddly, fluffy VOIP service- nothing more-

Sorry guys, I gave it a second chance- Not impressed!

Going back to my Verizon- they are now offering me a year package of FIOS w/ high speed internet- 200 channel TV service, and unlimited phone service for a bundle of $90.00 total- tax included- add 4.99 and I get the international discounts of about 3 cents per min. when that expires, I may drop them and try something different.

But, OOMA is too time consuming and really doesn't provide me with what I need. I think I spent much $$$ on my time already-

Too much aggravation- Spent massive hours on this OOMA project- I Guess I am a Dummy. I guess corporate america is stupid as they invest about $350 - $500 k per year into my services.

just call me a Dummy!

Back to traditional communications convention for this dummy!

What the heck is he talking about? "350-500K"? and what does it have to do with Voip/Ooma?
From what I gather, this "customer" is happier shelling out $90 a month elsewhere and not $90 a year ($99) with OOMA and putting up with small inconveniences from time to time?

well, whatever makes one happy..!