Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#37851 by hteinlin
Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:03 pm
12/03: Started port request.
12/04: Received an email confirming work order, given completion date of 12/18.
12/18: Received completion email of number ported.

Started receiving Caller ID / Call waiting features on my phone number (had it disabled from old phone co prior to port).
2 weeks to finish porting and so far so good, haven't noticed any problems other users reported after porting yet.

My phone lines within my house remains active on Cox. I still get a dial tone and I can still dial out from it. However, I cannot receive phone calls on this line... Meaning it is an unassociated line without a phone number, which is good... Called up Cox, I guess they won't officially turn off my phone service until January 4th. Way to milk some money out of me before i ditch them huh?...

So just incase I went to the Cox box and disconnected the house line from their box. I now have no dialtone on my house wires. Hooked up my Ooma back to it, everything on it and my scout working fine. :)


And just for giggles, I hooked up Ooma only to the internet, nothing to the house phone wiring. I can receive and make phone calls... Sweet.


Another thing I noticed now too is, there is no longer a ring delay before the Ooma hub rings. This might be due to having integrated landline before which would ring, then gets handled by the Hub?

All I know is before if I call the house number from my cell, the HUB would ring on the 2nd ring.
After the port, it is ringing almost immediately on the 1st ring.
Last edited by hteinlin on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#40874 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 am
Mike-o-Matic wrote:Sweet!
Hope my port from AT&T (initiated on Monday) goes as smoothly!

Here is my followup report.
My port completed yesterday. It went smooth as glass! No problems at all! Here are some items of note, for those wondering what a (completely painless) port goes like:

1. The port took just over three weeks. Porting was ordered on 2009-Dec-13, and it completed on 2010-Jan-07.
2. The ported number became my Ooma main number.
3. My temporary number automatically became my second line, because I am a Premier subscriber.
4. I received, IIRC, three emails:
...4a. One about a day after ordering the port, indicating that the order was received.
...4b. The second came about a week later, and (accurately!) predicted the date the port would be completed.
...4c. The third arrived after the port was complete, and also advised me to reboot my networking equipment.

Some Other Thoughts...

#1: Don't assume that your porting will be done at any particular time of day. I wondered if it might happen "overnight" (eg. between midnight and 6:00am) so as to be "complete" on January 7th. However, it took place around 6pm local time (CDT). Although I was notified that there may be up to a six-hour outage, I experienced no outage at all.

#2: Although my Hub was "good to go" after a reboot, my landline continued to allow outgoing calls for a few hours. The next day though, the line was dead. Apparently AT&T kills the line completely, unlike Verizon, which I've heard will permit 911 calls indefinitely.

#3: It was not necessary for me to fax anything to anybody. I was not required to provide proof or verification. Ooma contacted AT&T and the rest was automatic.

#4: I followed up with AT&T afterward, to make sure my account was closing and I'd get a final bill. I was able to check this online but also called. Without belaboring the point, the call to AT&T was probably the hardest part of this whole process! It took about 30 minutes of grappling with their VRS and trying to get a human.

#5: If you use DSL, be sure to make arrangements so that you don't lose your DSL when its "anchor" landline is decommissioned.

I hope some folks will find this information useful!

EDIT: I forgot to say THANK YOU and KUDOS to the porting department!!
#40899 by caseybea
Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 pm
Good to hear AT&T porting actually worked - I'll be doing it in 2 months. (Waiting for "premiere" services trial to end first, then test the remaining services, make sure caller-id-NAME still works as it should...) - THEN i'll port.

(I have a CORE, so caller-id-name should be there forever)
#40902 by R-T-B
Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 pm
It took approximately 24 hours for my AT&T port to complete, but things have been smooth since then. :) It's probably understandable considering my port was scheduled to be completed on the 5th, and that was right after new years so they probably had a lot scheduled then.
#40930 by amoney
Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm
Date wrote:I ordered mine when I did setup on Dec. 7, 09. Porting from At&T, never got any emails, still waiting. I understand it can take 3-5 weeks. Your lucky.

You can not sit back and wait, you have to get a email confirmation, you better followup!!
#41394 by mmatski
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm
I just hooked up the ooma and requested porting from Vonage.
The salesman from Fry's said the port takes an hour, obviously bs.
How long does it typically take?
Days? Weeks? Months?
Just looking for a headsup.
#41401 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm

From all I've seen, I'd say "almost never less than three weeks, but usually not more than six weeks." In many cases, under a month start-to-finish.

This is very anecdotal, of course. But I can state that I've been making a point of reading as many relatively-recent porting-related threads as I can find. So I think it's a fairly accurate assessment.

In my case, the point at which I got my initial "projected completion date" email seemed to align with my normal billing cycle. I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not, but that could potentially help explain why it seems to usually take about a month to port a number.

Hope this helps,

EDIT: By the way, I think what R-T-B meant (and R-T-B, correct me if I misunderstood) by saying "approximately 24 hours for my AT&T port to complete" is that he was given a date, but it took many hours on/around that date for the actual "port" itself to start and become complete. That is, for Ooma to "own" the ported number and start handling its calls, and also for AT&T to kill his dialtone. I'm sure he ordered the port days or weeks before the day it took place.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests