Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#37156 by Emile
Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:23 am
For the past week or so, my ooma hub has been acting weirdly. Specifically, the hub has been cycling between being ready (blue light) to not being ready (flashing red light). When it started acting in that fashion, sometimes I would be unable to get the familiar Ooma dial tone (although the light was blue) until after many attempts. When I did get the dial tone and I dialed a number, I would sometimes get intermittent rings (each one would be logged in as a different call) and sometimes no ring tone at all. When talking on the phone, I would sporadically get echoes, scratchy noise and no noise at all and sometimes, the calls would be abruptly dropped (all while the blue light is on).

Lately, it has been getting worse to the point that now I cannot call out (i.e., I get the dial tone, I dial the number and no ring tone at all) and calls coming in go straight to my voice mail without the phone ever ringing (again all while the blue light is on).

I have DSL and the hub is connected directly to the router. I checked my DSL speed and it is 1.44 Mb/s up and .94 Mb/s down.

And again, I have had Ooma since September (2009) and it had been perfect until about a week ago when all these problems started happening.

Can anybody help?
#37190 by Emile
Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:30 am
Thanks Groundhound for responding.

The wifi router and the modem are integrated into one box which is provided to me by Southwestern Bell (now AT&T).

Below please find the result of the test. Thanks.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1439200 bps
Upload speed: 960400 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 298 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 68 ms
Average round trip time to server: 69 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1440000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0005559
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7710000bps
#37202 by Groundhound
Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:06 pm
The "Maximum TCP delay: 298 ms" is high, but I don't think that accounts for what you're experiencing, the test results otherwise were good. When you ran that test, was your computer connected to the Hub's home port or directly to your modem/router? If directly to the modem/router try it again with the computer connected to the Hub's home port.
#37253 by Emile
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:43 pm
Groundhound - I forgot to mention that there is a switch between the modem/router and the Ooma hub. So my connection is: modem/router > switch > Ooma hub.

Anyway, I moved the hub from my bedroom to my office to do the test with my computer connected to the hub, as you have suggested, and that seems to clear all my problems. I suppose the switch port to which the hub was previously connected must have been the culprit.

Thanks so much for your help.
#37313 by Emile
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:08 am
After I posted the last note, the hub started to act up again. That is: (1) the hub starts cycling through being ready to not being ready, (2) intermittent echoes, scratchy noise on the line, (3) dropped calls, (4) intermittent no ring tones, (5) intermittently incoming calls going straight to voice mail without the phone ever ringing etc. All these happen even when the hub is connected directly into the modem/router.

I suspect that my hub is failing. I connected my computer to the HOME port of the hub and tried to download a file. In the middle of the download, a window popped up saying that the Internet connection was reset and the download could not continue. I also tried to do the speed test while the computer is connected to the HOME port of the hub. Again, in the middle of the test the computer stopped and never could finish the test.

I think the hub is continually resetting the Internet connection for some reason. How can I fix it?
#37464 by Emile
Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:11 am
Groundhound - I finally got the hub to stabilize. The speed test below was conducted with the computer connected to the HOME port of the hub as you have suggested. It appears to be normal. Although, when I am on the phone with someone, every once in a while the person would say that I am coming in and out. And yes, I am using an Ethernet cable that I have not used with the hub before.

What I don't understand is that the hub only runs ok when connected to one particular Internet connection in my office. Anywhere else (even when connected directly to the modem/router using different Ethernet cables) and it exhibits all of the symptoms I mentioned earlier.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1438656 bps
Upload speed: 960600 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 16 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 66 ms
Average round trip time to server: 67 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1440000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0009342
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7943632bps
#37466 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 am
Your connection test looks good. Since you have your hub installed behind your router (no choice since your modem & router are integrated), you probably need to adjust your router's QoS settings to give priority to phone calls. You will also need to make sure your router always assigns the same IP to your Hub. In addition you should put that router-assigned IP for the Hub into the router's DMZ.
#37491 by Emile
Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm
Can you guide me a bit?

How do I access the QoS settings of my router to give priority to phone calls?

And how do I make sure that the router always assigns the same IP to the Hub?

Finally, how do I put the router-assigned IP for the Hub into the router's DMZ?