Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#36621 by davek
Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:06 pm
Hi.

I switched over to cable (from DSL) when I went "Oo". I do not know anything about cable modems. I want one that is docsis 3 and has multiple (at least two) Ethernet outs. 4 would be great. prefer NOT Wifi.

Anything out there for me?
#36635 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm
davek wrote:Hi.

I switched over to cable (from DSL) when I went "Oo". I do not know anything about cable modems. I want one that is docsis 3 and has multiple (at least two) Ethernet outs. 4 would be great. prefer NOT Wifi.

Anything out there for me?

Sounds like a combo modem/router, which I would not recommend.
#36638 by hteinlin
Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:23 pm
Yes I would not recommend combo router/modem's because you have no ability to ever upgrade the router. Or if you hook up additional routers now you will have a more complicated network setup.

Modem/Router > Ooma > additional Router, then you will have issues with ports forwarding firewalls and all sorts of headache.

My suggestion is contact your cable company and get a list of pre-approved DOCSIS3 modems. I've had brands from Motorola / Linksys / Netgear and imo they all perform the same speed wise and reliability I would rate as all being equal. In my experience though, I have never had to do a single restart on the motorola due to malfunction. Linksys or netgear maybe once or twice because connection dropped in a span of a year or so. But that could have been due to service provider.

I switched over to Motorola when I moved into my new place and got Cox cable.
#36665 by Soundjudgment
Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm
My current setup:

Cable HD --- Motorola SB6120 Doc Sis3 Modem----Netgear WNDR3700 4-Port Gigabit Router-----Ooma Telo = Heaven on the Internet.
#36757 by davek
Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:33 am
My current setup:

Cable HD --- Motorola SB6120 Doc Sis3 Modem-----Ooma Telo----8-Port Gigabit Router

I want:

Cable HD --- Doc Sis3 Modem----8-Port Gigabit Router
...................................\-----------Ooma Telo

I TRIED:

Cable HD --- Motorola SB6120 Doc Sis3 Modem----8-Port Gigabit Router-----Ooma Telo

But NOTHING worked at that set up- seems to be either a conflict with DHCP either too many trying to set IPs, ot maybe NO ONE setting the ips.

When I had the Hub, I had no problem with:

DSL --- DSL Modem----8-Port Gigabit Router
.......................\-----------Ooma Telo

Soundjudgment: I wpould be curious how you got that set up running- I would like to do that maybe because I think the Moterola 6120 is a good modem- it is what I have.