Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#35780 by WayneDsr
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:44 pm
Have you tried a different power supply? It would be nice if had one of equal value hanging around the house somewhere, maybe borrow one? Could be a lack of power once ooma powers up.

Wane
#36166 by hsashton
Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:38 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Have you tried a different power supply? It would be nice if had one of equal value hanging around the house somewhere, maybe borrow one? Could be a lack of power once ooma powers up.

Wane

Boot-up should require the greatest amount of power - so if it boots I'd expect enough power to run the box.

That said - I can confirm that the hub hardware was indeed the problem(although now I have that spare power supply).

A trip to Costco and $179.00 later I have a working hub. The refurbished hub from fry's was $169.00 so for $10 extra having a new unit is probably worth it. Last year I bought the hub and scout combo from Amazon for $189.00.

The bad thing is support told me it will take between 24-48 hours to transfer my number from the old hub to the new (ridiculous!).

While I have been happy with the service itself - one year is the shortest longevity of any consumer electronic I have ever owned. If I see the same dismal performance with this hub - I'm done with Ooma.
#36174 by allo
Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 pm
hsashton wrote:...

While I have been happy with the service itself - one year is the shortest longevity of any consumer electronic I have ever owned. If I see the same dismal performance with this hub - I'm done with Ooma.

The Hub stays on 24-7 . It gets very warm to the touch; and heat can cause any component to fail, even though it uses only 5 watts idle.
I don't know if the Telo has the same problem (excessive heat due to poor ventilation like with the Hub, which can cause all kind of problems!... I could not see any ventilation slot at the top of the hub for warm air to escape/exhaust... Heat damage control should be priority #1 in any electrical hardware! ) .

Since the customer has no control over the manufacturing process of what he buys... the only alternative to protect one's investment is to buy an extended warranty: Ooma offers an extended warranty which is IMO a little too excessive at $69.99 a year, after the first year.
However one can buy in most cases an extended warranty when they buy the unit: Newegg offers an extra 2 year free replacement, including shipping, for $43 ... in addition to the 1st year by ooma (a total of 3years, and if the product is no longer available you get all of your money back ... minus the cost of the warranty of course!); many other sellers offer a similar deal.
Or buy the Lifetime Premier which comes with a 3 Yr hardware warranty.

N.B: Some credit cards add another year to the warranty at no charge.