Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#35755 by hsashton
Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:11 pm
My Ooma hub of 1 year is now bricked.

I would have expected longer longevity on the hardware (I'd be happy with 3 years).

I guess its a Telo for me - but I need to be able to have my Dish box phone home, so I may opt to go legacy.

Any thoughts?
#35762 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:41 pm
Could you elaborate on what you observe to convince you it cannot be recovered?
#35765 by hsashton
Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:49 pm
The "Ooma" indicator began flashing red a couple of days ago - busy signal when I pick up the receiver.

A couple of months ago - the message light stopped working - even though all of the lights light on start-up. I can't get a diagnostic pattern to display using the procedure in the documentation.

I've tried multiple times to both reset and just plain reboot the system.

I've rebooted my DSL modem and router. I've re-seated and even replaced each and every cable.

My DSL works without an issue as does my wireless router. There have been zero changes on my network.

I can get to the administrative interface of the unit and under status it indicates telephony unavailable. The tunnel to Ooma is down as well.

At first I thought Ooma may have a routing issue in my area code (609) but if they're having back-end issues they're keeping mum.

I called support (from work) and unfortunately didn't have my MAC addy on me. In the meantime Ooma support finally responded to my email and I provided them with a detailed description of my issue with absolutely no response (2 days).
#35768 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Doesn't sound good, I would agree. Have you checked to see if the MAC address for your Hub matches what's listed in my.ooma?
#35771 by hsashton
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:08 pm
They match.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still an Ooma fan - it's just a bummer to lose the hardware in such a short amount of time.
#35772 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:12 pm
hsashton wrote:They match.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still an Ooma fan - it's just a bummer to lose the hardware in such a short amount of time.

I understand. I would want to know, if possible, what the cause for the failure may have been before I put another Ooma device in the same setup. Any chance of voltage spikes or other electrical problems?
#35774 by hsashton
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:20 pm
I have a whole house surge suppressor.

No obvious electrical events/storms, etc. recently.

My network gear hangs off an APC UPS with line conditioning.
#35778 by Groundhound
Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 pm
Well I'm fresh out of ideas. I think a case like this is where Ooma should have a referb purchase program for existing customers at a discount. An Ooma device that has failed beyond its warranty period could be sent in for exchange with the same model (referb with one yr. warranty) at a deeply discounted price. Referbs are available from Fry's to new customers for $169.99. Ooma allows reactivation of used Ooma devices for $59.99, so it would seem that something a bit higher than that to cover the extra costs to Ooma would be appropriate, say between $100-$150.