Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#35675 by SporTen
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:25 am
Under the "Knowledge Base - Technical Support - Connecting a Fax Machine to Ooma" It states to receive faxes you must enable fax mode. Is this no longer correct and can this please be updated if it has changed?

Thanks

Fax Mode

If you send and receive many faxes, you can enable "Fax Mode" on the Preferences->System page in My Ooma. This enables Ooma to run in an optimized mode for faxing. In this mode, you won't need to dial *99 before you place your fax calls. If you're using an Ooma Telo system, this mode is required to be enabled if you wish to receive faxes on your Ooma Telo.

Note: In fax mode, your calls are sent and received using a different audio codec. In certain conditions, this can cause the quality of your voice calls to diminish. As a result, we recommend that you only enable fax mode only if you're actively sending and receiving faxes.
#35733 by Bobby B
Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:35 pm
The new fax mode option will probably be available early next week. You'll be able to enable it on a per-number basis under Preferences->Phone Numbers.
#36124 by jjlink
Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:56 am
"You'll be able to enable it on a per-number basis under Preferences->Phone Numbers."
So would this be a good use for a second ooma phone number?
#36176 by rocketbill
Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:17 pm
The drift of this thread that there isn't currently a fax mode to select in the preferences. I believe there used to be a check box for fax mode, but is gone. ANd now I can't send any faxes with the current current configuration, since I can't insert any delays between the *99 and the phone number. When will the fax mode actually be operative? The inability to send a fax has been a recent source of great frustration.
#36191 by murphy
Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 am
rocketbill wrote:The drift of this thread that there isn't currently a fax mode to select in the preferences. I believe there used to be a check box for fax mode, but is gone. ANd now I can't send any faxes with the current current configuration, since I can't insert any delays between the *99 and the phone number. When will the fax mode actually be operative? The inability to send a fax has been a recent source of great frustration.

Why can't you insert a delay? I have never seen a modem that didn't have a way to insert a delay. The Hayes modem standard specifies that a comma will insert a 2 second delay. My alarm panel has a 3 key sequence that inserts a delay. My ReplayTV DVR specifies a key on the remote to insert a delay.
#36386 by Magus
Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:06 pm
Bobby B wrote:The new fax mode option will probably be available early next week. You'll be able to enable it on a per-number basis under Preferences->Phone Numbers.

Hi Bobby: I am assuming you mean per local number and not per incoming number. If so, this means semi-permanent use of fax friendly codec on that line. Could you spell out what the perceived sound differences might be?
#39718 by rocketbill
Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:26 pm
murphy wrote:
rocketbill wrote:The drift of this thread that there isn't currently a fax mode to select in the preferences. I believe there used to be a check box for fax mode, but is gone. ANd now I can't send any faxes with the current current configuration, since I can't insert any delays between the *99 and the phone number. When will the fax mode actually be operative? The inability to send a fax has been a recent source of great frustration.

Why can't you insert a delay? I have never seen a modem that didn't have a way to insert a delay. The Hayes modem standard specifies that a comma will insert a 2 second delay. My alarm panel has a 3 key sequence that inserts a delay. My ReplayTV DVR specifies a key on the remote to insert a delay.

Took a long time to get back on this one. Yes, my fax does allow insertion of a delay. I just hadn't figured out how to do so when I entered my original post. But the "missing" fax mode check box remains missing with no apparent new information on the use of Ooma with fax machines.
#48256 by ryanf4u
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am
Where is the fax mode. I do not see it anyware? How does it help us to put in *99 when recieving faxes?
What is the delay in adding this functionality. Also why cant I adjust the call quality anyware in the seetings of the ooma core or on my ooma?

I am assuming uping the call quality would fix all these issues. I have plenty of bandwidth and no way to adjust it?

Thank You,

Ryan
#48259 by murphy
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:56 am
ryanf4u wrote:Where is the fax mode. I do not see it anyware? How does it help us to put in *99 when recieving faxes?
What is the delay in adding this functionality. Also why cant I adjust the call quality anyware in the seetings of the ooma core or on my ooma?

I am assuming uping the call quality would fix all these issues. I have plenty of bandwidth and no way to adjust it?

Thank You,

Ryan

Do you have a hub or a Telo?
The hub handles incoming faxes automatically.
The selection for the Telo is found by clicking on the phone number in my.ooma.