Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#35112 by Groundhound
Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:09 pm
AustinOomaUser wrote:Hmmm. Okay, thanks guys. I guess I'll have to check with the building's ISP.

Or whoever manages the router that distributes Internet to the various residential units. If they can assign a static IP for you in their router and then put that IP in their router's DMZ it may solve the problem.
#35508 by AustinOomaUser
Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 am
Below is what I heard back from the building's technician... make any sense?

I just spoke with one of our network engineers, and the problem is with the Ooma's IP address. Its coming up with a private IP (172.xx.xx.x), and that is what is causing it not to travel over the network. I'm not too familiar with the Ooma devices, but it needs to pull a public IP from the network like your PC is doing (206.xxx.xxx.xxx). Do you know if the IP is hardcoded into the device or if there is a way to set it up to pull a public IP? They have checked all our switches and routers and there isn't anything blocking any VOIP systems in the building, and it comes back to the IP on the Ooma hub.
#35530 by Groundhound
Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:07 am
AustinOomaUser wrote:Below is what I heard back from the building's technician... make any sense?

I just spoke with one of our network engineers, and the problem is with the Ooma's IP address. Its coming up with a private IP (172.xx.xx.x), and that is what is causing it not to travel over the network. I'm not too familiar with the Ooma devices, but it needs to pull a public IP from the network like your PC is doing (206.xxx.xxx.xxx). Do you know if the IP is hardcoded into the device or if there is a way to set it up to pull a public IP? They have checked all our switches and routers and there isn't anything blocking any VOIP systems in the building, and it comes back to the IP on the Ooma hub.

Ooma assigns IP addresses to its home port in the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx range, but that should not be visible to your technician in his router. By default, Ooma accepts the IP assigned by whatever DHCP server it's connected to for its WAN (modem) port. You can override this and put in a fixed IP in whatever range you want, but that would be only if you are assigned a static IP by the service you are connected to.
Question. Did the technician know from his end about the 172 address, or did you show him the info from your setup config and he just made an incorrect assumption?
#35574 by murphy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm
Look at the Status page in the ooma to see the IP address that was assigned to it by the upstream network.
#35589 by murphy
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:54 pm
Yes.