Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#50769 by Tiger5353
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:45 pm
Disconnect phone cord from back of satellite receiver and plug it into a regular phone then see if that phone has a dial-tone. If it doesn't then you need to figure out why your not getting a dial-tone. If it does then its some configuration problem within the satellite receiver box. Check disk networks bulletin board and see if anyone else had this problem and see what they did to correct it.
#50791 by nameless
Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:02 pm
i have the line straight to the wall jack
and i think i narrowed my problem to the way it's wired from the hub. see i thought i had it hooked up so all of my phone jacks would be live without additional scouts. but i think i must have it wrong because i used a phone to check a different jack and got no dialtone
#51087 by southsound
Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm
nameless wrote:can anyone tell me how to get my system hooked up as described in my above post
i'm doing something wrong but can seem to figure out what

I'll ask my question again since I think you missed it in my previous reply. What jack on the ooma are you connecting to expecting to obtain dialtone?

The Dish receiver and all phones MUST be connected to the PHONE jack. The WALL jack is only for landline integration or to connect the scouts.
#52691 by vandelay
Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 pm
I switched over from Vonage and I had my Dish phone connection hooked up through wireless modem jacks (RCA RC930) because my Dish receiver was nowhere near my computer/Vonage setup. Very clunky but it worked. I didn't know about HomePlugs at the time. When I got my Ooma Telo, I connected it directly into my router and simply moved the phone cable from the Vonage device into the Ooma Telo and everything worked, including the Dish dial-out (you have to set up the *99 prefix as others have mentioned). My setup is this: My 3-handset DECT 6.0 phone system is connected to the printer/fax, which is connected to the wireless modem jack base unit (by phone cable; unit plugs into an electrical outlet), which is connected to the Ooma Telo (into the "Phone" jack). The Dish receiver is connected to the wireless modem extension unit by phone cable. Somehow it all works, I get the "Phone Connection - OK"...
#52699 by sundeep607
Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:48 am
In my case, I ran a Cat5 from my main box to the Dish Receiver. When I called DishNetwork to inform them that I have done this and they need to remove my charge, they said now we do not need to connect the dish to a phone line. Since February Dish cannot charge $5.

I am not sure if the Dish CSR did not know what he was talking about or maybe DishNetwork was just making money off us. I recommend you call and check if connecting the Receiver to a phone line is a requirement anymore or not.

Please call Dish before you go about spending money to get the wire, plates, etc.
#52702 by vandelay
Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 am
Good idea on calling Dish. I did and the deal is that if you have auto-pay set up with them, they will waive the $5 telephone connection charge. In my case, I have 2 HD DVRs and as long as I leave one of them connected (which will definitely make my setup less clunky), they will waive the charge.
#53492 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 am
I found out recently that Dishnetwork no longer requires your receivers to talk to mothership in order to avoid a $5 charge per month (this was as of Feb 2010). They'd continue to charge those that were paying this $5 though unless their receiver successfully handshakes with the mothership.

In any case, I had my receivers talk to the mothership successfully using *99 prefix.

However, by chance, I was checking it out again last night and had 80-90% failure rate. I was thinking WTH? The setup didn't change at all. The voip and speetest checked out fine.

This morning, I checked again and dial out is back to 100% success rate. I am thinking ooma server was congested? Not sure because voicecalls sounded fine. Last night, while having the high failure rate with Dishnetwork dial out, I checked my alarm dial out and that was okay on first attempt (DTMF communications: ADEMCO CONTACT ID REPORTING (10 characters/sec., DTMF (TouchTone) Data Tones, 1400/2300Hz ACK, 1400Hz KISSOFF).