Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#33275 by mrgoodwrench69
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm
I have a Dishnet. Sat receiver that needs to call out once a month to avoid getting charged an extra $5.00 . The Satellite always comes up call failed when it tries to dial out. I have call Id built into the Sat. and see incoming calls pop up on the TV. Are there any setting that I can change to get this to work with Ooma Voip? I had a landline phone before ooma , and I had no issues, the Sat. receiver called out with no problems. Any info would be appreciated.
#33277 by daet
Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:29 pm
mrgoodwrench69 wrote:I have a Dishnet. Sat receiver that needs to call out once a month to avoid getting charged an extra $5.00 . The Satellite always comes up call failed when it tries to dial out. I have call Id built into the Sat. and see incoming calls pop up on the TV. Are there any setting that I can change to get this to work with Ooma Voip? I had a landline phone before ooma , and I had no issues, the Sat. receiver called out with no problems. Any info would be appreciated.

Can you add *99 to the dialing string? Or log into My Ooma, and turn fax mode on.

DG
#33320 by southsound
Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 pm
mrgoodwrench69 wrote:I have a Dishnet. Sat receiver that needs to call out once a month to avoid getting charged an extra $5.00 . The Satellite always comes up call failed when it tries to dial out. I have call Id built into the Sat. and see incoming calls pop up on the TV. Are there any setting that I can change to get this to work with Ooma Voip? I had a landline phone before ooma , and I had no issues, the Sat. receiver called out with no problems. Any info would be appreciated.

Does your Dish receiver have an RJ45 port for an Internet connection? Mine does and that satisfies their requirement. If not and all you are trying to do is avoid the $5 charge, give the wonderful folks in India a call (during regular business hours on a weekday) at the normal Dish phone number. Tell them you want to cancel and they will connect you with their loyalty folks in the US. Then tell them that you are considering leaving dish because you love their system but it cannot call out on your VOIP line. They can waive the $5 fee and will probably offer you some free programming while you are still on the line. Dish does not want to lose customers and the purpose of the monthly call-in to the mother ship is to make sure you aren't putting extra receivers on your bill at $5 per and giving them to friends for nearly free service.
#42574 by CeeElGee
Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:42 am
I'm new to ooma and the Forum but a Dish Network customer also, so when I read the rather strict prohibition regarding the satellite/phone connection, I came here seeking advice. After reading this and other related threads, I decided to use the splitter provided by ooma in my Core package to split the Phone out line coming from the Hub. One port is connected to my fax machine (which I haven't fully tested yet) and I plugged a long extension from my satellite receiver into the other. I went into the Dish Network menu and ran a phone connection diagnostic and it said I was OK. We'll see tonight while we sleep ...

So far, so good. The ooma quality is great and I think my wife's gonna fall in love with the Premier features and spring for the $10/mo. I guess the only concern now is what everybody else wonders, which is how long can ooma pull this all off? It'll pay for itself in six months after canceling my POTS, even with a Premier subscription.

(By the way, I just ran a test of my caller ID on the satellite from my POTS line, which I haven't disconnected yet, and it did indeed display on the satellite image/programming.)
#42587 by Soundjudgment
Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 pm
CeeElGee wrote:I'm new to ooma and the Forum but a Dish Network customer also, so when I read the rather strict prohibition regarding the satellite/phone connection

That caution is in regards to using a single satellite connection to uplink and downlink all your Ooma VoIP calls to. That isn't what you are referring to, is it? Who is your ISP provider for all Internet traffic on your computer(s)?
#42891 by CeeElGee
Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:47 am
Soundjudgment wrote:
CeeElGee wrote:I'm new to ooma and the Forum but a Dish Network customer also, so when I read the rather strict prohibition regarding the satellite/phone connection

That caution is in regards to using a single satellite connection to uplink and downlink all your Ooma VoIP calls to. That isn't what you are referring to, is it? Who is your ISP provider for all Internet traffic on your computer(s)?

On page 38 of the User Guide, IN THE "INSTALLING THE OOMA SCOUT"SECTION, it talks first about how a fax machine should be connected to the Hub and not a Scout, then says "Other Devices: Devices such as ... satellite receivers ... require a landline to function properly. These devices should not be connected through an ooma device. ..."

My Dish Network receiver dials up the mother ship every night (or at least, any morning when it may have been disconnected to my old phone, I would get a message saying, "To avoid an additional fee, the receiver must be connected to a phone line," or something to that effect). The past two nights I have connected it directly to the ooma Hub's "Phone" connection using a splitter. I have had no nasty messages telling me there is a problem and I am seeing my caller ID information on the receiver's picture.

I don't know if that's what you're referring to with your question. I only know what I understood the policy to be, what ooma said in its user guide, and what I have tried successfully. I have a local wireless broadband service called Hoosier Broadband. I live just over a mile from the nearest repeater tower.
#42902 by Groundhound
Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am
CeeElGee wrote:My Dish Network receiver dials up the mother ship every night (or at least, any morning when it may have been disconnected to my old phone, I would get a message saying, "To avoid an additional fee, the receiver must be connected to a phone line," or something to that effect).

Does your Dish Network receiver have an Ethernet port? If so and you can connect it to your router, it may not need to make that call. My DirecTv DVR is connected to my network and communicates with the mother ship over the Internet, so it does not try to make outbound calls. I still have my Ooma phone line connected to it for inbound CallerID display.
#46428 by oomajer
Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 pm
I just got my ooma and wanted to make sure I got it work with my Dish Network receiver to save the $5/month. To make it work on your Dish remote press Menu+6+1+4. Under Outside Line select Prefix Code and enter *99. To verify it works, exit out of all menus and then press Menu+6+3 and then select Send Status. It should dial out and connect.
#50722 by nameless
Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm
oomajer wrote:I just got my ooma and wanted to make sure I got it work with my Dish Network receiver to save the $5/month. To make it work on your Dish remote press Menu+6+1+4. Under Outside Line select Prefix Code and enter *99. To verify it works, exit out of all menus and then press Menu+6+3 and then select Send Status. It should dial out and connect.

I tried this and it didn't work. got the follow message
------------------------------------
"Dial Out
FAILURE
Check Phone Connection"

When I check Dial Out I get
---------------------
"Dial Out
FAILURE
No Dialtone"

---------------------

Help
#50724 by southsound
Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm
nameless wrote:I tried this and it didn't work. got the follow message
"Dial Out
FAILURE
Check Phone Connection"

When I check Dial Out I get
---------------------
"Dial Out
FAILURE
No Dialtone"

---------------------
Help

How do you have your Dish receiver connected to your ooma? There should be no problem getting dialtone if you are connected to the PHONE port. Do not use the WALL port for this connection.