Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#108943 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm
captainslog:
Not once did I see a post from you in the Ooma forum describing your problems and asking for help?

Many times when Ooma Customer Support didn’t seem to be able to fix an Ooma user's problem, and that same problem was brought to the Ooma Forum, and Ooma forum member made suggestions for a fix. The problem was corrected, and without farther problems. Most often the fix was very simple. It’s just some thing that the Ooma forum user didn’t think of.

The reliability of the Ooma products has really improved since I started using the Ooma Telo a few years ago. What I see more often is a defective Internet provider signal, and/or defective equipment, like a defective or incorrectly adjusted modem or a router that is incorrectly setup for VoIP phone service. Right now I’d guess that a malfunctioning modem is causing somewhere between 80 to 90 percent of Ooma user problems.
#108946 by captainslog
Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm
thunderbird wrote:Not once did I see a post from you in the Ooma forum describing your problems and asking for help?

Seriously . . . I should come here for help . . . this is the last place I'd look for help. Thanks for the offer, but If Ooma technical support can't help, I would not come here?

- The only reason I'm spending time here now is to warn others away from Ooma.
- To help others NOT make the same costly mistake I made.
- I am also figuring out if I want to make a site out of Ooma Alternatives so that I can profit from my own misfortune and help others at the same time.
- Lastly, as I am on hold getting my new phone system setup, I have some time to kill here.

Total cost of an Ooma DIY Telco is actually high. The cost of hardware failure is high. The cost of sitting here on a message (if I wanted to afford the time) to fix my phone system is high. The cost of changing phone is high.

If you figure out the actual total cost of an Ooma phone system ownership, you'd find you are paying too much.

Internet ONLY service is higher than combined service. I am actually getting reliable phone service for free with my tripe play. I don't ever have to buy a new.

I'm surprise NO ONE here has addressed the cost of Internet Only service. As opposed to combining services from a cable company.

30MB Internet Only service from Charter is $50. But if I combine Internet / Phone / TV, I get all three for $90 a month. $30 for each service. When I do the math, I'm getting my same Internet speed and I'm only paying $10 a more a month for phone. Better than ooma by a long shot. I'm saving $15 bucks a month when you figure I'd have to buy a new Telco box every year.
#108947 by captainslog
Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm
thunderbird wrote:The reliability of the Ooma products has really improved since I started using the Ooma Telo a few years ago. What I see more often is a defective Internet provider signal, and/or defective equipment, like a defective or incorrectly adjusted modem or a router that is incorrectly setup for VoIP phone service. Right now I’d guess that a malfunctioning modem is causing somewhere between 80 to 90 percent of Ooma user problems.

Even if Ooma gave me a free box, I wouldn't have stayed with Ooma.

The technology interested me. Vonage was of interest to me as well, but I didn't stay with them either. The Business Model interests me.

But I don't need a DIY phone system. I don't need the hassle and the complaints from my family.

I'm trying VOIP again, and I'm using Google Voice along with an OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge for $39.00. But I'm only doing this as an experiment and a way to help others with Ooma Alternatives. It'll be a nice site.

But for my home phone and by business phone, I'm sticking with my Cable's offer.
#108953 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm
Now that my evening is over and have some time.....

Not to argue but just because I don't want things said to be unchecked.

captainslog wrote:You must be a message board troll paid by Ooma to try to mitigate negative reviews.

No.

captainslog wrote:But half-baked, un-informed assumptions doesn't really help people.

I find this perfect in describing your saying "Bottomline is that Ooma telco is a FAIL." BTW, it is "Telo" and not "Telco." Almost all my close friends and family are now with Ooma. They love Ooma's sound quality and love saving lots of $ every month.

captainslog wrote:Hardware. Cheap, Chinese made hardware, is the reason Ooma failed for me . . . NOT MY INTERNET setup.

FYI, Apple iPhones are designed in CA and assembled in China just like Ooma. Quality doesn't go out the window just because things are made in China; quality suffers when companies don't want to pay for quality. This applies to made in USA products as well. Lots of things are made in China today because companies don't have to pay as much for equal level of quality.

captainslog wrote:the Ooma telco box is not compatible with a number of Internet services . . . I was on both Time Warner and Charter.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Ooma only requires certain level of speed and recommends hardwired internet service.

captainslog wrote:Ooma Telco box became useless after 3 months

Ooma would have sent you a new Telo; warranty is 1 year.

captainslog wrote:cable companies like Time Warner, Charter, Comcast and others will NOT allow an Ooma Telco unit to work over their systems.

Not true.

captainslog wrote:I don't pay for my telephone adaptor from the Cable company. The cable company gives that to me for free.

The equipment rental for VoIP cable modem is $10 per month on top of your service fees. You won't see it until your promotional rate is over. If rental fee not itemized, the total digital phone bill will cover this rental fee comfortably.

captainslog wrote:Internet service alone is more expensive then Internet bundled with other services like Telco and TV. Ooma doesn't save me money when I have to pay more for Internet alone. In fact, Ooma is more expensive when you factor all the costs together.

Calculate again when your cable's promotional pricing expires.

captainslog wrote:But if my internet goes out, the Cable company's Telco system does NOT go out.

Someone is not telling you the truth.

captainslog wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Not once did I see a post from you in the Ooma forum describing your problems and asking for help?

Seriously . . . I should come here for help . . . this is the last place I'd look for help. Thanks for the offer, but If Ooma technical support can't help, I would not come here?

Yes, you should have asked for help here.

captainslog wrote:Internet ONLY service is higher than combined service. I am actually getting reliable phone service for free with my tripe play. I don't ever have to buy a new. I'm surprise NO ONE here has addressed the cost of Internet Only service. As opposed to combining services from a cable company.

Bundled service is very attractive during the promotional period, then they hit you after the pricing expires.

captainslog wrote:30MB Internet Only service from Charter is $50. But if I combine Internet / Phone / TV, I get all three for $90 a month. $30 for each service. When I do the math, I'm getting my same Internet speed and I'm only paying $10 a more a month for phone. Better than ooma by a long shot. I'm saving $15 bucks a month when you figure I'd have to buy a new Telco box every year.

Like I said, look again when your promotional pricing is no longer good. Your cable digital phone service is at least $35 a month.

captainslog wrote:But I don't need a DIY phone system. I don't need the hassle and the complaints from my family.

captainslog wrote:I'm trying VOIP again, and I'm using Google Voice along with an OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge for $39.00.

Oxymoron if I ever saw one. Having had issues with setting up Ooma so you don't want "DIY" yet you want to try GV using Obihai?
#108963 by peabody
Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:33 am
LBMOFO, this isn't relevant to this issue, but wanted to ask about something you said. I always assumed you were an Ooma person who was assigned to run the forum and answer questions. Is that not true? If you're just one of us, then is there any Ooma representative here? Does anyone at Ooma ever read these posts?
#108964 by murphy
Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 am
peabody wrote:LBMOFO, this isn't relevant to this issue, but wanted to ask about something you said. I always assumed you were an Ooma person who was assigned to run the forum and answer questions. Is that not true? If you're just one of us, then is there any Ooma representative here? Does anyone at Ooma ever read these posts?

He is another user just like everyone else on here except he likes helping people.
Ooma representatives have an Ooma company logo as their avatar.
#108967 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 am
peabody wrote:I always assumed you were an Ooma person who was assigned to run the forum and answer questions. Is that not true?

Yes, I am just another user. However, probably more crazy about Ooma more than most. Driving wife and kids crazy for sure. :cool:
#108968 by dknyinva
Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am
captainslog wrote:I'm surprise NO ONE here has addressed the cost of Internet Only service. As opposed to combining services from a cable company.

I'll addressed your question regarding Internet only service.

Comcast Internet service ONLY - $40/month with 25MB down / 5MB up
Cable or TV service - strictly Internet using Logitech Revue and Sony Internet ready FREE
Phone service - Ooma been running smooth for close to 3yrs or when Ooma first began FREE

I wish people would stop come here and bashing Ooma for their misfortune. A lot of people in this forum are more then willing to help.

Don't go away mad, just go away
#108970 by MapleOne
Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 am
There is such a thing as beating a dead horse

Obviously this persons Ooma has stopped functioning and he is very upset.
He should be contacting Ooma directly to see if they can swing him some sort of deal. Sometimes a little bit of a loss goes a long way towards customer service.

Other than that this topic is of no use and a moderator needs to shut it down. Having run dozens of forums I will tell you from experience that no good can come of this. This is a business forum and understandably you will have upset clients but things like this need to be taken care of by customer service not on a business forum.

Try your best to help the client, when it comes to degrading the service and questioning the sincerity of people trying to help then you shut it down. Simple and straight forward.

Ooma should consider making a couple of senior forum members moderators. I see a number of people that would make a good choice because they stay polite and civil no matter what.

My two cents
#108971 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am
MapleOne wrote:Other than that this topic is of no use and a moderator needs to shut it down.

I used to be moderator of a board before as well and that board was also pretty strict about what folks can and can not talk about. I had to ban a few folks because of repeated violations etc. With this board though, Ooma has been pretty cool about it and really didn't step in other than personal attacks, topics that could lead to hardware/software crack, really stale topics; and I think people on here like this approach vs the heavy handed ones.