Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#32409 by robtcody
Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:09 am
I read about "Enable Fax Mode" here: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... chine-ooma

But I'm still not clear on what it means.

Here is what I think it means, albeit the above link doesn't state it.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts here?

*99 will only work when "sending" a fax.
"Enable Fax Mode" works for both sending and receiving a fax.

Without "Enable Fax Mode" being enabled, a user could only send faxes. Receiving will often fail as there is no way to enter a *99 before receiving a call.

Fax mode itself means the bandwidth is reduced to 90Kbs and the compression is shut off. This will reduce "voice" quality, but it will improve Fax transmissions.

Is this correct?
#32414 by robtcody
Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:40 am
What does this mean? I understand that the fax is recommended to be on the hub, and maybe that's why Ooma doesn't place the option on the scout web page. So it that why it is not there?
#32503 by Bobby B
Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 pm
Hi robtcody

robtcody wrote:*99 will only work when "sending" a fax.
"Enable Fax Mode" works for both sending and receiving a fax.

With the Hub and Telo, you must dial "*99" before sending faxes if you have "Fax Mode" disabled. If "Fax Mode" is enabled, you don't need to dial "*99" before sending a fax.

With the Hub, you'll be able receive faxes regardless of whether "Fax Mode" is enabled or not because it support automatic fax tone detection. The Telo does not have this capability yet, so you'll need to enable "Fax Mode" if you wish to receive faxes on the Telo.

robtcody wrote:Without "Enable Fax Mode" being enabled, a user could only send faxes. Receiving will often fail as there is no way to enter a *99 before receiving a call.

Please see above.

robtcody wrote:Fax mode itself means the bandwidth is reduced to 90Kbs and the compression is shut off. This will reduce "voice" quality, but it will improve Fax transmissions.

Fax mode does turn off compression, but it doesn't reduce voice quality by itself. You may hear reduced voice quality (compared to the default audio codec) if your call has substantial packet loss (due to a poor Internet connection).
#32507 by Bobby B
Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:13 pm
Everything on the Preferences->System page are global parameters and will apply to all devices in your Ooma System (Hub + Scout or Telo + Handset).

robtcody wrote:What does this mean? I understand that the fax is recommended to be on the hub, and maybe that's why Ooma doesn't place the option on the scout web page. So it that why it is not there?
#33019 by nad
Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:57 am
Bobby B wrote:Everything on the Preferences->System page are global parameters and will apply to all devices in your Ooma System (Hub + Scout or Telo + Handset).

What if I want to enable fax mode on the hub (dedicated fax line) but not on the scout (dedicated voice line). It doesn't give an option for this so should I just not use the 'fax mode'?
#33061 by dsegel
Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:29 pm
Fax mode improved my voice quality to an acceptable level. Without it on voice calls sounded noisy and heavily compressed.