Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#30873 by ffrankk
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:27 am
Reading over the forum postings gives me pause to question my decision to purchase an ooma.

A number of questions/issues:

I have temporarily keep my land line while my number ports.

I understand that ooma has a distinctive ring, I still have a conventional dial tone. Is there a problem here?

I received a welcoming VM from ooma but all other messages go to my phone companies VM. Is this a sign of a problem?

When I click on "my ooma" it takes me to my "VM Inbox". Is that correct?

I just pressed my Do not Disturb button and the phone still rings.

When I activated my system, I clicked on 5 rings before VM kicks in, how can I change that. Whenever I go to activate again, I get an error message telling me to call ooma (800 something) they simply tell me that I am activated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I do not believe I am on the ooma system but still just receiving my regular phone service.
#30875 by Leeway
Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:48 am
ffrankk wrote:Reading over the forum postings gives me pause to question my decision to purchase an ooma.

A number of questions/issues:

I have temporarily keep my land line while my number ports.

I understand that ooma has a distinctive ring, I still have a conventional dial tone. Is there a problem here?

I received a welcoming VM from ooma but all other messages go to my phone companies VM. Is this a sign of a problem?

When I click on "my ooma" it takes me to my "VM Inbox". Is that correct?

I just pressed my Do not Disturb button and the phone still rings.

When I activated my system, I clicked on 5 rings before VM kicks in, how can I change that. Whenever I go to activate again, I get an error message telling me to call ooma (800 something) they simply tell me that I am activated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I do not believe I am on the ooma system but still just receiving my regular phone service.

Yes, you are still on your landline until the number ports to ooma

When you activated, you took a temporary number. That is the one that ooma is now connected to. Your number to be ported is still on the landline phone.

If you have the ability to forward your old phone to the temporary ooma number it will work to use the old number. If you cannot forward your old number then you need to be using the temporary number you selected until the porting is done for the ooma to work.

You can change the number of rings for VM in the lounge but that is not your problem. Your calls are simply still in the hands of your landline. Pick up your landline phone and dial your temporary number for ooma and it will all work just fine. After the porting it will be what you want it to be.
#30877 by Leeway
Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:08 am
ffrankk wrote:Thanks Leeway,

I was unaware that I had a temporary number. How do I find out what it is? And how do I get to a preferences page to change things like # of rings etc.

Frank

You should have picked a temporary number when you activated your ooma. If you intended to port your old number then you needed to select a temporary number to use until the porting is done. If you did not select a temporary number then you are going to have to call and explain that you wanted to port your number and eventually drop your landline. Perhaps you took the wrong option and need to correct it? If you did not get a form to fill out via email for the porting process then you selected the wrong activation. Ooma can fix it for you.

Go to this page on the web... This is where you change settings BUT, you are going to need to login with your ooma number and password.

https://my.ooma.com/home/login
#31033 by kenmizell
Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:37 pm
I may be having the same problem as frank. I was never asked to choose a temporary number. I wanted to port my number but if it takes 3-4 weeks then I need to keep my existing land line for those 3-4 weeks so that people can still call me. So I chose to keep my existing land line during the porting process... it told me in the activation to make sure to plug the old phone cord into the "WALL" port (but i'm unsure "which" old cord it meant... the one going to the handset or the one that went to the jack on the wall??). In the activation process it said that I would have to login to My Ooma to pay the fee to have my number ported by going to the "Add Ons" section, however, when I go to the Add Ons section it's blank. there are no add ons to purchase. I thought that this might be because of the billing section not having my credit card info yet.. so i went to the "Account" "Billing Information" section and tried to add my mastercard. I got an error.

"Please check out following fields

■[0] System Could Not Complete Your Request - Please Re-Try Or Contact Support."

I don't want to unplug a working phone to install this hub until I know that the number is ported successfully, which will take 3 weeks from the time i am able to purchase the "add on", and I can't order the porting "add on" since it's not on the website... so... now what?