Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#30753 by bdeco
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:02 pm
My phone number was ported earlier today from Verizon to Ooma. Prior to the port, I did not call Verizon for fear that they would screw it up (ie. disconnect the number before the porting date). When the port occurred, however, the phone number transferred over to the Ooma line but it did not disconnect from the Verizon line. Now it seems that I have the same phone number for both the Ooma and Verizon lines. When I dial the phone number from a phone connected to the Verizon line the phones connected to Ooma ring, however, when I dial the phone number from an Ooma-connected phone, I get the Ooma broadband answering machine setup instructions. When I call my cell phone from a phone connected to the Verizon line, the cell phone displays the same phone number. This means Verizon has not simply issued a new number, but the the same number is connected to both lines (though only the Ooma line rings on incoming calls).

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is it only temporary (ie. the Verizon line will go dead soon) or do I need to call Verizon to have them turn it off?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
#30755 by murphy
Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:10 pm
It's temporary. Verizon does all of their switching after midnight.
I would expect the Verizon dial tone to either be gone in the morning or only allow calls to 911 and Verizon.