Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#30122 by gtdurham
Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:06 am
If I enable fax mode, does this affect anything else beside being able to send and receive faxes?
#30125 by Bobby B
Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 am
From the help:

Note: In fax mode, your calls are sent and received using a different audio codec. In certain conditions, this can cause the quality of your voice calls to diminish. As a result, we recommend that you only enable fax mode only if you're actively sending and receiving faxes.


Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss.
#30129 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am
Bobby B wrote:From the help:

Note: In fax mode, your calls are sent and received using a different audio codec. In certain conditions, this can cause the quality of your voice calls to diminish. As a result, we recommend that you only enable fax mode only if you're actively sending and receiving faxes.


Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss.

Is there still echo suppression issues with G711 as opposed to iLBC?
#30150 by cjones78
Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 pm
Bobby B wrote:Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss.


I'm sorry to piggyback off this post, but I have a question.

If I enable fax mode, will it eliminate the low humming I hear during pauses in conversations and the silence between rings? Because I have been trying to remember to enter *99 before dialing a number in order to eliminate the hum, but sometimes I forget. My bandwidth rate is 50Mbps, so I don't think packet loss will be a problem. I think I read somewhere the humming is a codec issue, and I am just wondering if enabling fax mode will fix it.
#30154 by Aveamantium
Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:02 pm
cjones78 wrote:
Bobby B wrote:Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss.


I'm sorry to piggyback off this post, but I have a question.

If I enable fax mode, will it eliminate the low humming I hear during pauses in conversations and the silence between rings? Because I have been trying to remember to enter *99 before dialing a number in order to eliminate the hum, but sometimes I forget. My bandwidth rate is 50Mbps, so I don't think packet loss will be a problem. I think I read somewhere the humming is a codec issue, and I am just wondering if enabling fax mode will fix it.

It should eliminate the hum.
#30339 by Lakeo
Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 am
Bobby B. Indicated in this thread;
" Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss."

My question is, after sending a FAX using *99, is it necessary, and is there a code to reset the Hub for voice use? Or, does it automatically reset it's self.

lakeo
#30341 by murphy
Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 am
The switch to fax mode only lasts for the duration of that call.
#30346 by Lakeo
Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:22 am
Thanks. Makes sense, but I wasn't sure.

lakeo
#30385 by dsegel
Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:36 pm
Lakeo wrote:Bobby B. Indicated in this thread;
" Fax mode enables the G711 audio codec which works great for faxing. However, the codec takes up more than double the bandwidth of the default codec (iLBC) and quality of voice conversations may diminish if you have Internet packet loss."
lakeo


But if you have a good Internet connection with few (if any) dropped packets, the G711 codec improves voice quality significantly (in my experience).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests