Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#28455 by danxp
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:32 am
hi...

first post and i just wanted to say i love ooma!! but i'm concerned that this service may be fleeting... i love the fact that the basic service is free, but how do they make money? are they just going to be a statistic within the next year or two?

i heard they had a fresh infusion of funding, but what happens when that runs out?

i want ooma to succeed!! perhaps they should charge a very nominal monthly fee for even the basic subscribers? i dunno... $3/month? way better than the $27/month i was paying for absolute basic verizon phone service with no long distance, no caller id/waiting/etc... no voicemail, no nuthin!

ooma convert
#28458 by allo
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:41 am
danxp wrote:hi...

first post and i just wanted to say i love ooma!! but i'm concerned that this service may be fleeting... i love the fact that the basic service is free, but how do they make money? are they just going to be a statistic within the next year or two?

i heard they had a fresh infusion of funding, but what happens when that runs out?

i want ooma to succeed!! perhaps they should charge a very nominal monthly fee for even the basic subscribers? i dunno... $3/month?
way better than the $27/month i was paying for absolute basic verizon phone service with no long distance, no caller id/waiting/etc... no voicemail, no nuthin!

ooma convert

Buy PREMIER and they will be OK. $10 a month

#28463 by danxp
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:48 am
i HAVE premier!! i even bought family members oomas... but i'm afraid they may be the sunrocket
#28468 by murphy
Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:52 am
Calculate your payback.
Based on what I used to pay to Vonage I will be ahead of the game next June. That is, what I would have paid to Vonage in that time period will pay for my Ooma equipment and Lifetime Premier.
#28499 by allo
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am
danxp wrote:i HAVE premier!! i even bought family members oomas... but i'm afraid they may be the sunrocket

It has a lot to do with the people running the Co: How competent/honest/dedicated... it is out of the hands of the consumers!

Look at the American car cos today: for decades management plundered the assets of those cos: Bonuses/Jets/golden parachutes, retirement pay unheard of!...
They never thought about keeping a nest egg... or making a good and intelligent investment for the future: no matter how much profit they made in good years as well as bad. Management at its worst as well as inferior product... never thought about improving the products they were making!
Just to show that the consumer doesn't have much of a say... except to stop buying a lousy product, and therefore helping it accelerate its demise!

#28514 by Neubiee
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 am
danxp-
If you are interested ooma offers Lifetime Premier service for $350. You have to call and ask them for it or email one of the moderators on here. If your currently paying $119/year you'll break even in about 3 years or $10/month in 35 months!

Like someone pointed out: Vonage costs you $35*12months=$420 a year.
#28529 by danxp
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:49 am
i'm gonna stick with the annual premier plan... with the way the current economy is going who knows if the company will be solvent after a couple of years...
#28532 by hpepper
Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 am
allo wrote:It has a lot to do with the people running the Co: How competent/honest/dedicated... it is out of the hands of the consumers!

One thing I can tell you, (as many here on these forums can,) there are two Ooma people that support these forums, Dennis P. and Bobby B. They have both bent over backwards, replying to many posts at all hours of the day and night on a regular basis, with a deep, sincere interest in their customers and it sure seems like their company as well. If anyone else in the company has a fraction of the dedication of those two, then the company will be here for a very long time.
#28536 by dsegel
Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am
hpepper wrote:One thing I can tell you, (as many here on these forums can,) there are two Ooma people that support these forums, Dennis P. and Bobby B. They have both bent over backwards, replying to many posts at all hours of the day and night on a regular basis, with a deep, sincere interest in their customers and it sure seems like their company as well. If anyone else in the company has a fraction of the dedication of those two, then the company will be here for a very long time.

The problem is that those two seem to be the only support staff Ooma has. Repeated calls and emails are going unanswered by me and others on this forum. I have the same misgivings as the OP, but if I can get over the initial wife acceptance hurdle then the service will pay for itself for me within 4-5 months, so as long as they last at least that long I'm good...
#28556 by danxp
Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 am
so any comment from dennis p. or bobby b. regarding this topic?

just trying to get some assurance from someone at the company that they'll be around for a while...