Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#27566 by cat
Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:33 pm
Help,
I love my ooma very much and we are new users. The problem is we kept a land line with different phone number(my husbands), I have ooma with my number that I had ported. When our land line rings it dumps me off my ooma, the same happens when my husband calls out on the land line it dumps me off the ooma . It takes 4 minutes before it turns blue. We have the ooma running through our modem and it is DSL. We have a 2 line phone,line one is the land line with Verizon, line 2 is ooma . Could this be causing the problem?
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Catherine
#27567 by murphy
Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 pm
Do you have the ooma hub or the Ooma Telo?
#27581 by cat
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:43 pm
murphy wrote:Do you have the ooma hub or the Ooma Telo?

I have a ooma hub and a scout The hub is back by my computer and the scout is in the livingroom
#27586 by cat
Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:46 pm
WayneDsr wrote:And do you have the WALL port connected to a wall jack in your house? Are you using a Scout?

Wayne

Yes we do and yes we are using a scout, it goes through a splitter at the wall jack, and the other the other side of the splitter has a DSL filter for the land line
#27609 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:26 pm
For the time being disconnect the WALL port on the ooma hub, this will disable your Scout.
Make some test calls with nothing connected to the WALL port.

Wayne
#27629 by cat
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:24 pm
WayneDsr wrote:For the time being disconnect the WALL port on the ooma hub, this will disable your Scout.

Wayne

Okay Wayne,
I did it and it worked it did not shut down my Ooma, :D soooooooooo what does that mean? Is there a way to make the scout stop doing that?
cat
#27631 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 pm
The Scout needs to be an a wire pair that does not carry your dsl. It's the dsl that is bringing down your phone, not the landline.

So, you had 2 lines at one time. What you need to do is connect the WALL port of the hub to the unused line (line 1 or 2)
and connect the WALL port of the Scout to the same line at the other end. This will put the connection on a non dsl line. You may have to buy a 2 line splitter (line 1 and a line 2 ) from Radio Shack in order to plug the Scout into the line of choice.
Which ever way you do this bottom line is to isolate the DSL from the wall wiring that is connecting the hub/scout.

One other thing to mention. It is best to disconnect your unsed telco line from the telco box on the outside of your house. Sometimes the disconnected telco still has stray voltage on it and will cause the scout not to communicate with the hub. This is usually done by unplugging a phone plug in the telco box.

Hope I've helped more that I've confused! :)

Wayne
#27633 by cat
Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:41 pm
cat wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:For the time being disconnect the WALL port on the ooma hub, this will disable your Scout.

Wayne

Okay Wayne,
I did it and it worked it did not shut down my Ooma, :D soooooooooo what does that mean? Is there a way to make the scout stop doing that? DRATS!!!! It is still disconnecting sorry. Also there are spells when I dial out there is no ringing, it is just dead even though the Ooma light stays blue, I have to unplug and replug in the hub to get it to work again.. We just experienced this again. SIGH
cat
#27638 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:06 pm
Well, heck that was supposed to fix it!

When you dial a number hit the # sign after the number. This might shorten up the lag you mayb be experiencing when dialing out. Or you can disable 10 digit dialing in my.ooma.com.

I'm not sure what is happening and I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on. Hopefully there will be others that might chime in here.

As a last ditch effort on my part, reset the hub to factory default. Do this by disconnecting the power.
Press down the blue ooma tab (yes it is a switch)
While holding down the ooma tab, plug the power back in.
Continue holding down the tab for 30 seconds while ooma does a light show.
After 30 seconds release the tab.

A reset just may help. Good luck,

Wayne