Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#25646 by feartheturtle
Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 am
This posting is directed towards Dennis and Bobby who frequent these forums.

I am relatively new to Ooma (we activated our hub/scout combo in early September) but I feel like I have enough experience with the hardware (hub/scout) and software interface (website) that I can voice my concerns. I will not go into my frustrations with recent business decisions, that could take another posting (or three); but it is fair to note that perhaps those business decisions likely have a direct impact on my concerns. I suspect that Ooma’s resources are stretched pretty thin at this time.

At the moment my wife seems confident in the Ooma, and for that I’m grateful. She was not that happy with Verizon (cost primarily) but for her, the most important thing is that we have stable, reliable phone service so that family/friends/schools/etc. can reach us when necessary. She would probably be a little uneasy if she were to read these forums on a regular basis.

Problems with My Ooma:
The My Ooma site (old Lounge) seems to be very buggy. There are settings I would like to experiment with, but based on my recent experiences and many of the postings I’m reading here, I am unwilling to risk interruptions and possible impacts to our basic phone service. I have seen the website kick me out to the login page on several occasions. And most recently the site refuses to allow me to do anything with voice messages except play them. I cannot: 1) create folders, 2) move messages to other folders, 3) empty messages that are in trash, etc. Last week I was able to accomplish these tasks using IE8 or Firefox 3.5.3, but now I’m back to the same old issues! Thankfully we can still listen to messages and discard them using either the hub or scout.

Until the basic voice message settings work and until the various other “My Ooma” problems that people are posting here starts to settle down I am unwilling to experiment with other settings. I feel like I’m part of a huge Beta test for the website! And perhaps that is what this really is?

What browser(s) work with “My Ooma?” Are there certain add-ons/plug-ins required for the browser(s) to work? There must be other people experiencing the same issues, correct?
#25651 by tommies
Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:52 am
The old Lounge worked just fine. However the new My Ooma is not, and I believe they drop the ball on release the site with too many problems and scramble to fix while a deluge of complains pouring in.

I joined Ooma in March and pretty happy with it. There was an outage in April and this time the problem of My ooma. IMHO this is just growing paint for a successful start up company. Be patient and give the engineers some time to fix the problems and we'll be ok.

PS.
the lounge is known to work well with IE and Firefox and has some issue with Google's Chrome. Make sure the Flash plugin is up to date.
#25668 by whn
Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 am
I support OOMA 100000000 percent

But the change to this new interface was a mistake, the old Lounge was working fine, all it needed was new graphics in my opinion but not a new overhaul of the code.

perhaps you needed to change to Ruby on Rails or whatever this is to match with Telo options / features.

But the old Lounge was much better, much easier to use BUT MOST importantly, it worked with very little to NO errors.

Perhaps, there's a mole within the company that is trying to sabotage OOMA's growth?

I hear of stuff like that happening especially when companies like OOMA are growing rapidly and on the verge to take over a market or market share. The blacklist feature is unheard of in the industry and perhaps it bothers insiders in the business??? (hence about 50% of the problems revolve around the blacklist feature)
#25711 by Bobby B
Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 am
Hi feartheturtle,

I understand your frustrations with all the bugs in My Ooma -- we're working as quickly as possible to address all customer-found bugs with the site.

feartheturtle wrote:Problems with My Ooma:
I have seen the website kick me out to the login page on several occasions.

This intermittent redirection to the login page is being tracked internally in 6157. I'm hoping we should have a fix for this some time this week.

feartheturtle wrote:And most recently the site refuses to allow me to do anything with voice messages except play them. I cannot: 1) create folders, 2) move messages to other folders, 3) empty messages that are in trash, etc. Last week I was able to accomplish these tasks using IE8 or Firefox 3.5.3, but now I’m back to the same old issues! Thankfully we can still listen to messages and discard them using either the hub or scout.

A regression bug with the voicemail management was introduced with the last release on Friday. We should have a fix for these voicemail folder/message management issues in by Tuesday or Wednesday.

feartheturtle wrote:What browser(s) work with “My Ooma?” Are there certain add-ons/plug-ins required for the browser(s) to work? There must be other people experiencing the same issues, correct?

My Ooma is tested with IE 7/8, Safari 3.X/4.X and Firefox 3.X browsers. The only non-default plug-in required is Adobe Flash Player, which is used for voicemail playback.
#25720 by feartheturtle
Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:51 pm
Bobby -

Thanks much for the update. Its very frustrating to be watching all the turmoil and not have a good understanding of the real issues behind all of it. While I have a technical background, and I understand a good deal about electronics, but my knowledge of website building/coding is lacking. I just want the website to function better!

My wife has been skeptical of Ooma from day one, and I'm happy to report she has not had to experience any real problems yet. Our number porting took place on Oct 1, and prior to that she refused to use the Ooma phone unless I called in on that line from work or from my cell phone. I have wanted to show her the web features like voice mail retrieval and blacklisting, but I just don't dare do that until things calm down! Thankfully our hub sits off in the back den/computer room, working well - and the scout has done a good job as a remote answering machine in the kitchen.

I think once the site is "out of Beta" a lot of us will be more relaxed! Thanks again.