Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#25476 by gjarboni
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:47 pm
niknak wrote:you did not read the OP's question...
...I had my land line disconnected a couple of weeks ago...

the question was what would happen if the poster lost his internet connection
in this scenario there is no way the ooma will dial out to anywhere, including 911
that is why others posted information about using cell phones

I wrote the original question and I guess I wasn't clear. My voice service and my data service are with the same carrier (Verizon FIOS), but the wiring into my house is separate. A few weeks ago my POTS (plain old telephone service) line was down, but the Internet was still up. When I picked up my phone, I didn't get a dial tone. I really hope that if that happened in an emergency, a call to 911 would go through.

Sorry about missing the point about the cell phone & 911.
#25481 by niknak
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:54 pm
so your landline POTS service is integrated with the ooma hub? it is plugged into the WALL port on the hub?

...I didn't get a dial tone...

no dial tone = no outbound dialing including 911
#25483 by gjarboni
Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 pm
niknak wrote:so your landline POTS service is integrated with the ooma hub? it is plugged into the WALL port on the hub?

Yes.

niknak wrote:
...I didn't get a dial tone...

no dial tone = no outbound dialing including 911

Then I hope that Ooma considers changing their firmware to allow 911 calls in this instance. It could possibly save a life.
#25488 by niknak
Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:08 pm
you should consider separating the landline from ooma and getting a new ooma number
this way if the landline goes down and the internet stays up you can dial 911 on the ooma

if the ooma goes down or the internet is down you can still dial 911 on the landline

if verizon fios goes out at the CO you'll still not be able to dial 911 unless you have a cellphone
#25494 by gjarboni
Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:30 pm
niknak wrote:you should consider separating the landline from ooma and getting a new ooma number
this way if the landline goes down and the internet stays up you can dial 911 on the ooma

Actually, I have three numbers with Ooma, only one of which comes through my land line, so I'm set. But it's not that hard to imagine a situation where someone has two totally separate carriers. I used to have a cable modem through Comcast and a copper phone line through Verizon. Maybe I'll try and see if I can do a 911 test tomorrow. Thanks.
#25510 by jazzyone
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 pm
niknak wrote:
Lola wrote:Like the previous poster said, my understanding is that the FCC has a rule that all cell phones, in service or not, must be able to dial 911 in emergencies.

the problem is that the 911 operator will not know the address to send help to unless the caller can give that information when calling

The FCC mandated Enhanced 911 (E911) to wireless operators. Phase 1: provide a call back number and cell sites address. Phase 2: provide x,y coordinate with a confidence factor.

The wireless carriers must maintain the minimum accuracy requirements with some difference in accuracy depending on the type of solution (network or handset based) once E911 is deployed.

Not all phones may be able to provide E911 depending on how old the phone is and if E911 is deployed in the area.... YMMV