Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#25339 by gjarboni
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 pm
Hello,

I had my land line disconnected a couple of weeks ago and, despite my Internet connection being up, I couldn't make calls. I get that -- Ooma's letting me know that my line is disconnected, but I wondered -- what if someone picked up a receiver and dialed 911 in this situation. Please, please, tell me that the Hub would figure this out and put the call through over the Internet. I'd try it out, except I don't want to get in trouble with the local authorities.

If this doesn't happen currently, I'd say it's a must add feature.

Thanks,

Jason M.
#25356 by Leeway
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:24 am
I don't believe your call would go through. But I can tell you that if you want to remove all doubt just dial your local police station and ask them if you can test it. I did that when I first bought my ooma and I just wanted to be sure that my 911 was recognized and they had the right coordinates for me.

I called and asked how I could test my new phone system because it was VOIP. The nice lady told me to hang up and dial 911 right away. She answered the phone and I was happy that it all worked fine. But my ooma was not disconnected at the time, it was running just as it should.

I keep a cell phone right where I know it is in case power is out or ooma is out. I do not have a landline at all.
#25359 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:53 am
Due to the fact that many things can take voip down, having a cell phone backup is a must if you're worried about not having 911.
Ooma works well with a 911 call, uses the info from you registration page in my.ooma.com. If your power went out you would not only lose your ooma, but your router, modem and cordless phones. This is why some of us have large battery backups on those pieces of equipment on the network.
If your ISP goes down you have no protection at all.

Wayne
#25398 by southsound
Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:51 am
WayneDsr wrote:Due to the fact that many things can take voip down, having a cell phone backup is a must if you're worried about not having 911.

Wayne is 100% correct. In our locality our DSL does not have battery backup so a basic landline or cheap cell phone is a basic requirement. If you are concerned about keeping costs down, there are ways to have cell service with 150 minutes a month and rollover of unused minutes for just $5.50 a month. If interested, you can email me and I'll send details. And for those who might ask, I do NOT work for any cell company or marketing company. I'm just extremely conservative when it comes to money and discovered this plan little over a year ago. Raccoons don't get the big paychecks. :P
#25410 by Lola
Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:35 am
Like the previous poster said, my understanding is that the FCC has a rule that all cell phones, in service or not, must be able to dial 911 in emergencies.
#25418 by niknak
Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 pm
Lola wrote:Like the previous poster said, my understanding is that the FCC has a rule that all cell phones, in service or not, must be able to dial 911 in emergencies.

the problem is that the 911 operator will not know the address to send help to unless the caller can give that information when calling
#25463 by gjarboni
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:20 pm
niknak wrote:
Lola wrote:Like the previous poster said, my understanding is that the FCC has a rule that all cell phones, in service or not, must be able to dial 911 in emergencies.

the problem is that the 911 operator will not know the address to send help to unless the caller can give that information when calling

Ooma has to be able to provide the E911 information for people who don't use a landline at all. So when the Internet is available, but the landline is down, Ooma should still be able to make a 911 call. Maybe someone from Ooma will read this post and inform us (or change the code on their box if necessary).
#25469 by niknak
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:33 pm
you did not read the OP's question...
...I had my land line disconnected a couple of weeks ago...

the question was what would happen if the poster lost his internet connection
in this scenario there is no way the ooma will dial out to anywhere, including 911
that is why others posted information about using cell phones
#25470 by southsound
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:35 pm
gjarboni wrote:
niknak wrote:

Ooma has to be able to provide the E911 information for people who don't use a landline at all. So when the Internet is available, but the landline is down, Ooma should still be able to make a 911 call. Maybe someone from Ooma will read this post and inform us (or change the code on their box if necessary).

I think you have misunderstood niknak's post. It is the person who is using an unactivated cell phone who might have a problem if they don't know their location. ooma does a wonderful job with their E911 service. They know exactly what agency to connect to and do so with all the proper information based on what you entered when you registered your ooma unit. The problem is if your Internet service is down as that also takes down your ooma connection. ooma doesn't have anything to do with cell service.