Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#24078 by vdm
Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:25 pm
I've searched the faq, kb and forums and I can't seem to find anyone talking about the same problem that I seem to be having.

I've purchased the hub/scout, and like everyone else, have emailed support with no response and have spent all day trying to get through to a non-stop busy support phone number.

So, as a last resort, before I take this back to the store and get my money back, I'll try posting here :)

I have properly hooked up/installed both the hub and the scout.
I then added a 2nd number via ooma lounge.

I'm wanting my fax (1st phone number) assigned to the hub and my phones to use only the 2nd line/phone number via the scout.

As it is now, whichever I pickup first uses line 1 and only if line 1 is in use, line 2 kicks in.

It seems that I need to "register" the scout to make this possible.

Well... sounds easy enough but it won't work. I fill in the information to register the scout via ooma lounge... click save... and *poof*.... nothing happens..... no messages... no errrors..... and nothing saves!

Anyone know how to fix this?
#24083 by ggilman
Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 pm
I assume by "register", you mean you clicked "Add a personal device" under preferences->phone numbers. If so and that didn't work, it may be a web site bug. That is the correct route. I can't really test it though since my system is already separated out like you are attempting to do.

Unfortunately with all of the changes in the last couple of days (Telo release, TOS update, and web-site upgrade), I imagine customer service line has been busy. Usually it literally only takes seconds to get though. Email has always been a bit slow though.

I can assure you that the system does work as you are attempting to do. It is exactly how I have mine set up. Fax on the hub with its own # and the rest of my devices "shared" with a separate number. I would assume your not being able to do this at this time is a web site bug with the new upgrade. I haven't seen this one mentioned yet but I doubt a lot of people separate the phone #s as such. Assuming it is a web site bug, there's likely nothing you can do until it gets fixed or you can get through on the phone. Hopefully you can afford to wait just a bit longer.
#24084 by Groundhound
Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:47 pm
Try Firefox, some have had success getting past the website bugs that way. Also understand that the numbers are separate from the lines, after you've played with it a bit you'll understand. You can have two calls in progress on one number or separate numbers. Even after you assign the number as desired, the first line in use will still light up line 1 no matter which number is in use. As ggilman said, it will work the way you want but it can be a little bit confusing at first.
#24136 by vdm
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:50 am
Thanks everyone. The setup and process that ggilman refers to is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and exactly how I've tried to accomplish it :)

I'm glad to see that it will work (if only in theory). I was first wondering if I couldn't register the scout as a 'personal' device because it automatically bundled it with the hub and; therefore, couldn't be changed. It seems that's not the case and I "should" be able to do it.

I guess it's now just a matter of actually getting through to customer support or waiting for site to be fixed.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.
#24140 by ggilman
Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:17 am
vdm wrote:I'm glad to see that it will work (if only in theory). I was first wondering if I couldn't register the scout as a 'personal' device because it automatically bundled it with the hub and; therefore, couldn't be changed. It seems that's not the case and I "should" be able to do it.

No, bundling is not an issue. My original system came bundled as well (have since added a 2nd scout) and had no issue specifying which devices to ring under the old web site.
#28107 by macadood
Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:26 am
vdm wrote:Thanks everyone. The setup and process that ggilman refers to is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and exactly how I've tried to accomplish it :)

I'm glad to see that it will work (if only in theory). I was first wondering if I couldn't register the scout as a 'personal' device because it automatically bundled it with the hub and; therefore, couldn't be changed. It seems that's not the case and I "should" be able to do it.

I guess it's now just a matter of actually getting through to customer support or waiting for site to be fixed.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue. I've set it all up online, in my account and only the main shared phone number is accessible. In Prefernces -> Phone Numbers, I have the main number on the hub and the 2nd number on the scout, yet i have no access to the 2nd number. And if I call it, it goes straight to vm. I'm also having trouble accessing the account for the new phone number. When I try to login with the 2nd number and the passwd I set up for it, it tells me that my login is incorrect.

Any suggestions? Or will I have to call the Philippines again today? :cry:
#28176 by ntoy
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:52 am
Hello Macadood,

It appears that the scout serial number was incorrect on your account. I've made the change for you.
Go ahead & reboot the scout and try again.
#28198 by macadood
Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 am
ntoy wrote:Hello Macadood,

It appears that the scout serial number was incorrect on your account. I've made the change for you.
Go ahead & reboot the scout and try again.

Hahaha. Thank you. But I got frustrated with it after trying several different things, including trying that number on my 2nd scout, which is where I left it and went to lunch. So now it does, in fact, work. But that number is ringing on the wrong scout. You couldn't have known. And I didn't see your msg until just now (while on hold with Customer Service). When my guy, here, gets back I'll let him know (if he hasn't already figured out what's going on) and we'll see if he can get me straightened out. I'll post my status back here.

One more thing, are serial numbers often wrong? I think they might be wrong on both of my scouts.

Thanks again.
#28360 by macadood
Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:27 pm
After about 6 calls, total, to customer service (never waited more than a minute for a real person to answer, BTW) I am all set with a hub, 2 scouts and 3 phone numbers - all ringing to separate devices.

Basically, the website was useless for adding scouts, my credit card info and a 3rd phone number. I got errors each time I tried to do those things. But customer service always got it straightened out for me.

I am now cautiously optimistic about my new Ooma. Thanks for your help ntoy.