Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#23805 by jpainter
Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm
I currently have two separate phone lines in my home. One for my home office and one for "family" use. Most of my existing phones are two line phones that ring for both numbers.

If I purchase the new ooma, will I be able to port both of these numbers to the ooma and completely eliminate the traditional phone service?

From reading these posts, it seems that the port process takes a few weeks and most folks are assigned a temporary number until the process is completed and then the temporary number becomes the 2nd number. How will this work with the need to port two numbers?

Thanks,
Jean Painter
Last edited by jpainter on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
#23809 by niknak
Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 pm
you are better off porting them one at a time to avoid confusion
also it depends on how you are configuring your ooma - to work separately or to work integrated with your landline
since you mention "temporary numbers" i'm gussing you signed up for a new number with your hub?
#23818 by jpainter
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:30 pm
I haven't purchased the ooma yet, I'm trying to determine if it can be configured to support both lines and if so, the proper way to proceed.
#23834 by niknak
Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:19 pm
basically when you purchase and activate your ooma you have a choice to set it up with a new number or to integrate it with your existing phone line.

In my case, I opted to choose a new number in my local area and kept my original phone line until I did a thorough testing of the ooma and voice quality.

in this setup, I just used the ooma to make all outgoing calls, and all my friends and family still called on the old POTS line that was familiar to them (you don't get charged for incoming calls) so in effect all my calls were free once ooma was installed, but I paid the phone comnpany to keep my line for a month or two until I was sure all was working well.

once I was satisfied with the quality, I started the process to "port" my existing number to ooma. This took about 1 month and was accomplished without any problems (YMMV) once the port completed the ooma number went away and was replaced by my existing landline number...all went smoothly and since then all my calling has been done over ooma and I have dropped my phone company (and have been saving approximately $45.00 per month)

in order to keep 2 lines you will need the premier service since only 1 line is included in the basic plan

also note that if you use DSL for your ISP, you may have to arrange to "dry loop" the dsl before you port your landline numbers
#23906 by jpainter
Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:21 am
I understand that with the Premeier service I will be able to port two numbers. When the new ooma handsets become available will they function like a traditional two-line phone? When a call comes in for either number will you be able to select which number to answer and leave the other line free to be used by other phones? Likewise, if someone is using line #1, will another person be able to use line #2 at the same time?

What about TIVO and other "automatic" dialing devices? Both my TIVO and an electronic real estate key are currently plugged into one of the POTS lines. They must dial in during the middle of the night to their respective hosts and transmit/receive system information. Will they continue to work as normal ?
Last edited by jpainter on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#23907 by murphy
Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:30 am
With the Premier service the first number port will be free. You will have to pay ($39.99) for the second number port.

You will have to put the *99 Pause dialing prefix into each unit and set their baud rate to 9600 or less.

The handset only works with the Telo. It will not work with the older hub. They will not be available until sometime in November so no one knows for sure what their capabilities are. They would have to provide access to the second phone number or it would not be possible to use two lines at the same time.
#24500 by bw1
Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:38 pm
jpainter wrote:What about TIVO and other "automatic" dialing devices? Both my TIVO and an electronic real estate key are currently plugged into one of the POTS lines. They must dial in during the middle of the night to their respective hosts and transmit/receive system information. Will they continue to work as normal ?

Many have gotten the TIVO and other devices to work, see Murphy's post for settings. I do remember a thread about the electronic real estate key - here it is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1646&p=10004