Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.

Fax

#16313 by audimax
Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:52 am
I need some help. How can I receive a fax with OOMA ?
#16314 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:55 am
ummmm, plug it in to the hub?
#16318 by audimax
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:02 am
Do I turn Auto Answer on?
#16320 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:10 am
Well if you do that the fax will pick up and if people are also calling on that number they will hear the fax machine

it depends how you are going to use the fax, do you just want it hooked up when someone is going to specifically send you a fax? Or is it a general fax number that many people would send you faxes at all times of the day?

If the former, I would leave the auto answer off and knowing a fax was coming, just stand near the machine and answer when it rings.

Also, you could setup 2 separate numbers but you need premier for that
not sure if distinctive rings would also work
#16324 by audimax
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:26 am
Thank you for your answer. I have Premier do I need to asign it to my second number? I have 2 short rings on it.
#16325 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am
I don't use a fax machine, but with 2 separate numbers, just plug the fax into the hub, since I have read here that it is better to use the hub for faxing (more stable) and set it to auto answer. when you send a fax the number should be prefixed by dialing *99 first as per ooma instructions on faxing.

Then use your second number on the scout for voice calls
#16327 by audimax
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:10 am
Thank You I'll give it a try.
#16970 by oomg
Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 am
FWIW, there are efax services available for as little as $1 per month for unlimited incoming service. Some will even provide a free trial. See:
http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp

And, they will give you a dedicated fax number. To me, these rates should eliminate any issues that may exist regarding ooma's ability to handle faxes whether incoming or outgoing.