Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#14273 by jackinfl
Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:29 pm
I am going to respond just to set the record (and facts) straight:

Hmmm... I'm fairly certain that any conspiracy theorist worth his salt would have noticed that jackinfl has not denied being the MJ mole.

Give me a break - I am not a mole - you are stretching just a TAD

Aside from that I also question some of his logic. First, based on my experiences with MJ, faxing documents is posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=2049#not possible... it simply does not work with fax, whether incoming or outgoing.

I send and receive faxes all day on my MJ (Brother MFC7820N system) with "0" problems

Second... what two line system? Only one MJ can be used with each computer at any one given time. So, in order to have a true two line system, two computers would need to be in fairly close proximity. On the plus side, MJ is portable, so one has the option of taking it to his second home... so don't need a second unit.

I have two homes (one in Mass and FL) both with MJ systems - I communicate multiple times daily between both MJ systems. Both homes have an MJ systems and I have "0" problems

Third, the math might be off. There definitely is a cost to running a computer 24/7 (assuming one want's the convenience of 24/7 telephone service. Granted there is debate over just how much cost must be factored in, but there seems to be no denying that there is an added cost.
See, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

Both my homes have computers running 24/7 any way - thus no "extra" cost for me

Assuming for the sake of discussion only that one wanted 24/7 phone service for a single line at a single location, ooma can be obtained for about $40 per year amortized over 5 years (excluding shipping cost) or $20 per year over ten years (plus some nominal amount for the electricity to run the box). MJ over five years would cost $100* (excluding shipping) plus the cost of electricity to run the computer. Over ten years it would cost $175** plus juice.

Assuming further for the sake of this discussion only, that it cost only $7.50 per month (or $0.25 per day) to leave the computer on continuiously (as opposed to say... 8 hours per day), the total cost of the single line MJ system would be $100 plus additional electricity cost of $450 or $550 over the five year period which comes out to $110 per year.

Again wrong - my MJ cost $39.95 (actually $19.95 after using my $20.00 instant rebate card at Staples - which was not figured into my calculations) plus $59.95 for an additional 5 years (total of 6) for an average of $16.65/year. Plus in my case "0" extra energy cost.

O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost 100 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $280.00 over the five years or $56 per year.
That would put the break even at approximately 3.5 years.

But wait... there is more. The ooma system is a huge improvement over the MJ.

Tell me why it is in an improvement? There has not been an improvement (never mind a "huge improvement) in my experience. I pick up my phone (both homes the MJ feeds the entire house - all outlets in all room) and I get a "real" dial tone and I make/receive a perfectly clear call every time. What else does man need?

* The five year plan for MJ actually results in the user getting an additional 4 years only for the $59.95... so $15 per year.

Wrong again - it is an additional 5 years over your first year which you received when you purchased the MJ

As mentioned in an earlier post I understood this to be a forum. I did not recognize it was a site where only positive comments could be posted. This is just my own/personal (no mole BS) opinion/experience. As stated above if anyone was looking for a stand alone VOIP system I would recommend Ooma (and in fact have done so today). In my case it was not for me - and Life goes on (without an Ooma).
#14276 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 pm
Wow - it was 104 on Harstine Island yesterday and I thought it was way too hot (actually the record in Seattle was set yesterday at 103. But that's nothing compared to the heated direction this tread is taking.

Bottom line, some folks have had great experience with MJ, some with ooma, some with both and others with neither. I don't believe in conspiracy theories and have been told they really out to get me so I'm not paranoid. But I do think that everyone on this forum should have a fair hearing. Jackinfl, sorry your ooma experience didn't work out and I hope MJ continues to serve your needs. I appreciate the fact that you are recommending ooma for those you feel might be well served by it. I'm also sorry that your forum experience has turned adversarial. I hate to see anyone go, but just a reminder that you are always welcome here if ooma is able to serve your needs in the future.

As I said yesterday in a different thread: My sage advise to all: Hug your family, do a random act of kindness, thank the Lord for your blessings today, and treat yourself to some really good cheesecake, chocolate, ice cream, or any other treat you can find! :cool:
#14288 by WayneDsr
Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 pm
MJ vs ooma. hummm.... let me see......

I think I'll have another walnut brownie.

Thanks, Southsound
#14303 by oomg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 pm
jackinfl wrote:I am going to respond just to set the record (and facts) straight:

Hmmm... I'm fairly certain that any conspiracy theorist worth his salt would have noticed that jackinfl has not denied being the MJ mole.

Give me a break - I am not a mole - you are stretching just a TAD

Aside from that I also question some of his logic. First, based on my experiences with MJ, faxing documents is posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=2049#not possible... it simply does not work with fax, whether incoming or outgoing.

I send and receive faxes all day on my MJ (Brother MFC7820N system) with "0" problems

Second... what two line system? Only one MJ can be used with each computer at any one given time. So, in order to have a true two line system, two computers would need to be in fairly close proximity. On the plus side, MJ is portable, so one has the option of taking it to his second home... so don't need a second unit.

I have two homes (one in Mass and FL) both with MJ systems - I communicate multiple times daily between both MJ systems. Both homes have an MJ systems and I have "0" problems

Third, the math might be off. There definitely is a cost to running a computer 24/7 (assuming one want's the convenience of 24/7 telephone service. Granted there is debate over just how much cost must be factored in, but there seems to be no denying that there is an added cost.
See, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

Both my homes have computers running 24/7 any way - thus no "extra" cost for me

Assuming for the sake of discussion only that one wanted 24/7 phone service for a single line at a single location, ooma can be obtained for about $40 per year amortized over 5 years (excluding shipping cost) or $20 per year over ten years (plus some nominal amount for the electricity to run the box). MJ over five years would cost $100* (excluding shipping) plus the cost of electricity to run the computer. Over ten years it would cost $175** plus juice.

Assuming further for the sake of this discussion only, that it cost only $7.50 per month (or $0.25 per day) to leave the computer on continuiously (as opposed to say... 8 hours per day), the total cost of the single line MJ system would be $100 plus additional electricity cost of $450 or $550 over the five year period which comes out to $110 per year.

Again wrong - my MJ cost $39.95 (actually $19.95 after using my $20.00 instant rebate card at Staples - which was not figured into my calculations) plus $59.95 for an additional 5 years (total of 6) for an average of $16.65/year. Plus in my case "0" extra energy cost.

O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost 100 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $280.00 over the five years or $56 per year.
That would put the break even at approximately 3.5 years.

But wait... there is more. The ooma system is a huge improvement over the MJ.

Tell me why it is in an improvement? There has not been an improvement (never mind a "huge improvement) in my experience. I pick up my phone (both homes the MJ feeds the entire house - all outlets in all room) and I get a "real" dial tone and I make/receive a perfectly clear call every time. What else does man need?

* The five year plan for MJ actually results in the user getting an additional 4 years only for the $59.95... so $15 per year.

Wrong again - it is an additional 5 years over your first year which you received when you purchased the MJ

As mentioned in an earlier post I understood this to be a forum. I did not recognize it was a site where only positive comments could be posted. This is just my own/personal (no mole BS) opinion/experience. As stated above if anyone was looking for a stand alone VOIP system I would recommend Ooma (and in fact have done so today). In my case it was not for me - and Life goes on (without an Ooma).

jackinfl and the conspiracy theorists:
I never said that you were a mole; only that I was a bit surprised that the conspiracy theorists had not noticed a connection, and thus, tried my best to inspire them. BTW, I am not a conspiracy theorist. You might have noticed my P.S. in the earlier post.

Having said that, see:
http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.n ... 990049D925

If the foregoing doesn't pique your interest, please read any of the hundreds (if not thousands) of complaints re: MJ posted on the net. All these happy people can't be wrong. Check these out: http://www.voipreview.org/magicjack
Even the unofficial forums have a good representative sample of "rants and raves." See,
http://www.magicjacksupport.com/

Faxing: according to their website, MJ does not officially support fax. This apparently has changed from late last year when they did not support fax at all.

Two lines: So, how does one connect two MJ lines in the same home? FWIW, I have heard that communicating between MJ devices is generally better. However, little, if any of my communicaton goes to a MJ device.

The math: Although my analysis may not apply to your particular situation since you run both computers 24/7, it appears that my math is correct vis-a-vis those who only run their computer when needed.

One additional point. It appears that the 5 year plan has also been changed since sometime last year. That may be due to the Florida AG settlement referenced above, or perhaps the threat of litigation from consumer groups. Nevertheless, the current pricing does allow you to obtain service at $12 per year over the cost of the unit.

Quality: Well, sorry to report that my experience was pretty similar to that of the one guy whose experience is detaild on the YouTube video: Sporadic voice quality, echos, dropped calls, etc. And, I tried it at multiple locations all of which were equipped with high speed DSL.

So that you know, it was my overall dissatisfaction with MJ that caused me to look for other VOIP alternatives. Initially,. I purchased two VOIP lines from T-Mobile (they refer to it as their @home service). Significant improvement in quality of the calls; Real dial tone, etc.; very reasonable when compared to my AT&T bill. These two lines were intended for business. I was so satisfied with the call quality on the T-Mobile lines, I wanted to convert my home service over to VOIP. Since T-Mobile only offers two lines (max), I started looking at other alternatives. Found ooma; gave it a try, and after only a few days, I was convinced it is the best.. by far when one factors price quality and available features.

I too am sorry that you were not delighted. I do find it a bit curious why you were even looking for an alternative given the high degree of satisfaction with your MJ's. I will admit that MJ is easier to connect than the ooma. However, there are a number of quality people on this forum who have devoted untold hours to helping new users overcome some of their initial problems, whether relating to connection issues, call quality issues, or fax issues. I would have thought you might have availed yourself of their collective wisdom before packing it in.

Best of luck, but if the time ever comes that you want to sell your MJ devices, I wouldn't count on the members of this forum as potential buyers.