Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#13589 by Boondocs
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Nicely put Southsound...
Ditto..

I gave my MJ to my mother-in-law hehe let her have the headache :)
#13597 by southsound
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 pm
Boondocs wrote: [I gave my MJ to my mother-in-law hehe let her have the headache :)

I'm told there may be a special place in heaven for mothers-in-laws. That said, it might be good to consider giving her your hub when the new Telo comes out. It would give her reasons to love you up and maybe even bake some nice sticky buns or something for you. Mine is gone but every Christmas she made the best sticky buns and I'm guessing she's in charge of sticky buns in Glory. Best be nice to Mum-in-Law. She just might live next to you in the hereafter. And she might even have a bigger mansion! :cool:
#14045 by Quicksprj
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm
I have a majic jack I bought before ooma. I found ooma's voice quality to be way better and ooma prioritizes voice over data which helps because I have slow dsl 1.5 Mbps. I had a lightning strike recently which blew up my ooma hub. As in the other couple times I called support I got right through and the cs rep spent 38 minutes with me trying to trouble shoot the problem. After there was no fix he sent a replacement hub for free. Customer service is OUTSTANDING in my opinion. There isn't even a number to call for majic jack. By the way I am buying a ups with surge protection to hopefully prevent another damaged hub and to keep my system running for short power outages.
#14065 by murphy
Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 am
Quicksprj wrote:I have a majic jack I bought before ooma. I found ooma's voice quality to be way better and ooma prioritizes voice over data which helps because I have slow dsl 1.5 Mbps. I had a lightning strike recently which blew up my ooma hub. As in the other couple times I called support I got right through and the cs rep spent 38 minutes with me trying to trouble shoot the problem. After there was no fix he sent a replacement hub for free. Customer service is OUTSTANDING in my opinion. There isn't even a number to call for majic jack. By the way I am buying a ups with surge protection to hopefully prevent another damaged hub and to keep my system running for short power outages.

IMHO you lucked out. Lightning damage is not covered by most warranties. The only exception I can think of is the warranty for an UPS. Lightning damage would usually be covered by your homeowner's insurance although the deductible would probably negate recovering anything in the case of the Ooma.
#14100 by Quicksprj
Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm
Just additional evidence of the quality company ooma is. I sure appreciate it. Just thought I'd pass it along so others know how nice it is to deal with this type of company.
#14143 by grathke
Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am
Hi,

Sorry to see you go too!

Funny how we all see things differently. I was wanting to dump vonage, not because the service was bad, I just got tired of the yearly fee.

More importantly, I got tired of all the taxes added on. The 911 tax, the local city tax, the new in town tax as Popeye would say.

So I looked at MagicJack, read the reviews, and saw an enormous amount of people not happy with the product. Of course that can happen with any product.

In one of the reviews the person mentioned ooma which I had never heard of. I researched and researched, called tech support a few times with pre sales questions. I liked what I read, especially the help here on the forum, and the rest is history.

I've set up ooma both before and after the router with help from several here. Thanks to all who helped. I have to say I'm for sure a fan of ooma. In fact I purchased Premiere ONLY because I knew that would help sustain a great product.

Can the installation be foolproof, I don't know. I think on my part I may have read too much into the documentation and what was posted here.

Anyway, from someone who needs the internet up 99.99% because of hosting a website, ooma has not impacted me at all.

That's my 2 cents worth

Glenn
#14232 by oomg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:16 am
"jackinfl" ??? Where are all the conspiracy theorists when you need them?

Don't you get it... "jackinfl" is a mole from MJ. He joined on 7/19 and by 7/20 he is ready to return the system. Almost looks like he is trying to create a "dissatisfied" ooma customer.

I've posted my comments re: MJ on multiple threads... and they are not all bad, particularly given the low entry price, etc. But, ooma is at least a light year ahead in virtually every category. And for a single line, is not that much more expensive than MJ over a 5 year span.

So... Hit the road Jack!
#14242 by bw1
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:03 am
I was thinking that myself.

But who in there right mind, goes to all the trouble of purchasing and activating an Ooma just to be able to post that they're returning it and "sticking with MJ which is better"!?!
#14248 by jackinfl
Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 am
Just to finish the discussion that I started - I felt so bad that I might not have given my Ooma a fair chance I unpacked the unit (I must admit the "presentation" is at least a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10). Hooked all back up and still had "issues".

Main "issue" was the Ooma would not release my phone line from my fax after faxing (I was able to fax) so I could make voice calls. Needed to pick up and replace receiver handset a couple of times to cause it to "release". No big deal but a another step in making calls. Tried to call the "crack" customer service folks from my desk at 10 the other day - and they do not open to 11. OK I waited till after 11 and tried calling (from my Ooma to Ooma) for 45 minutes and got a busy every time (no less than 10-12 times). Again no bid deal - but my problem still not resolved.

So I packed all and returned the unit.

Went and bought another MJ (second one in my possession between my two homes) and from the start all was perfect - no "issues" in any way.

I did some quick figuring and it would take me 13.3 years to break even with Ooma (if I take advantage of MJ's offer to pre-pay for 5 years at $59.95). I am quite happy with the MJ and the fact a computer needs to be on 24/7 for it to work is a non-issue in my situation.

The fact that I am not able to have a "local" number on the MJ is also a non-issue in my case (this is the other thing that might be an issue with some folks).

All in all the Ooma looked like a good product (and I am still impressed with the packaging) and would recommend it to anyone that needed a stand alone device.

Just was not for me - and as I have learned "life goes on".
#14265 by oomg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:16 pm
jackinfl wrote:Just to finish the discussion that I started - I felt so bad that I might not have given my Ooma a fair chance I unpacked the unit (I must admit the "presentation" is at least a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10). Hooked all back up and still had "issues".

Main "issue" was the Ooma would not release my phone line from my fax after faxing (I was able to fax) so I could make voice calls. Needed to pick up and replace receiver handset a couple of times to cause it to "release". No big deal but a another step in making calls. Tried to call the "crack" customer service folks from my desk at 10 the other day - and they do not open to 11. OK I waited till after 11 and tried calling (from my Ooma to Ooma) for 45 minutes and got a busy every time (no less than 10-12 times). Again no bid deal - but my problem still not resolved.

So I packed all and returned the unit.

Went and bought another MJ (second one in my possession between my two homes) and from the start all was perfect - no "issues" in any way.

I did some quick figuring and it would take me 13.3 years to break even with Ooma (if I take advantage of MJ's offer to pre-pay for 5 years at $59.95). I am quite happy with the MJ and the fact a computer needs to be on 24/7 for it to work is a non-issue in my situation.

The fact that I am not able to have a "local" number on the MJ is also a non-issue in my case (this is the other thing that might be an issue with some folks).

All in all the Ooma looked like a good product (and I am still impressed with the packaging) and would recommend it to anyone that needed a stand alone device.

Just was not for me - and as I have learned "life goes on".

Hmmm... I'm fairly certain that any conspiracy theorist worth his salt would have noticed that jackinfl has not denied being the MJ mole.

Aside from that I also question some of his logic. First, based on my experiences with MJ, faxing documents is not possible... it simply does not work with fax, whether incoming or outgoing.

Second... what two line system? Only one MJ can be used with each computer at any one given time. So, in order to have a true two line system, two computers would need to be in fairly close proximity. On the plus side, MJ is portable, so one has the option of taking it to his second home... so don't need a second unit.

Third, the math might be off. There definitely is a cost to running a computer 24/7 (assuming one want's the convenience of 24/7 telephone service. Granted there is debate over just how much cost must be factored in, but there seems to be no denying that there is an added cost.
See, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

Assuming for the sake of discussion only that one wanted 24/7 phone service for a single line at a single location, ooma can be obtained for about $40 per year amortized over 5 years (excluding shipping cost) or $20 per year over ten years (plus some nominal amount for the electricity to run the box). MJ over five years would cost $100* (excluding shipping) plus the cost of electricity to run the computer. Over ten years it would cost $175** plus juice.

Assuming further for the sake of this discussion only, that it cost only $7.50 per month (or $0.25 per day) to leave the computer on continuiously (as opposed to say... 8 hours per day), the total cost of the single line MJ system would be $100 plus additional electricity cost of $450 or $550 over the five year period which comes out to $110 per year.

O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost 100 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $280.00 over the five years or $56 per year.
That would put the break even at approximately 3.5 years.

But wait... there is more. The ooma system is a huge improvement over the MJ.

* The five year plan for MJ actually results in the user getting an additional 4 years only for the $59.95... so $15 per year.

** Assumes the rate of $15 per year applies beyond the fifth year.

P.S. If you look over your shoulder and don't see anyone following you, kindly disregard this post.