Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#10823 by epete
Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:44 pm
We use the Multi Ring feature and every time we pick up a call on our cell that was multi-ringing from ooma, we are prompted to press 1 to pick up the call. I would like to turn this feature off and thought it might be the "Enable message screening" feature. I have turned that off but still get the prompts.

Anyone know how to fix this?
#10832 by bw1
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:04 pm
Checking the "Enable message screening" box enables a caller's message to be played out through the speakers on your ooma hub or scout when they leave voicemail.
#10844 by von
Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 pm
I think the press 1 key is a good feature, If you forwarded Ooma to your cell phone, and your voice mail picks up too fast or if your cell phone is off while you were home, you still have a chance to answer your home phone before the call is sent to your voicemail.

I had ViaTalk once and that was a real problem, especially if you have Nextel that announces "pleas wait while your call is being connected"
#10895 by epete
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:59 pm
Thanks for the info. I thought for sure theis would be a configurable feature.

I don't use voicemail on my cell. I want my voicemail in only one place and that would be the ooma voicemail system. I only give out my home number and have both home and cell ring simultanoiusly and keep ooma voicemail set to 7 rings. I see that the press 1 feature could be nice for those who need it, but for those of us who don't, it can be pretty annoying. It would be great to have a setting to turn off.
#12080 by iSEPIC
Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:46 pm
epete wrote:We use the Multi Ring feature and every time we pick up a call on our cell that was multi-ringing from ooma, we are prompted to press 1 to pick up the call. I would like to turn this feature off and thought it might be the "Enable message screening" feature. I have turned that off but still get the prompts.

Anyone know how to fix this?.

The workaround, IF (I'm not sure if that was your goal, but it may be for others) you want the other phone to record the VM, instead of Ooma, is to record the tone of the DTMF digit 1 right before your outgoing voicemail message. Its not a pretty workaround, but it works.
#12141 by scots
Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 pm
epete wrote:Thanks for the info. I thought for sure theis would be a configurable feature.

I don't use voicemail on my cell. I want my voicemail in only one place and that would be the ooma voicemail system. I only give out my home number and have both home and cell ring simultanoiusly and keep ooma voicemail set to 7 rings. I see that the press 1 feature could be nice for those who need it, but for those of us who don't, it can be pretty annoying. It would be great to have a setting to turn off.

That's the whole purpose of the "press 1" feature. It's so the voicemail on the cell phone (or whatever line is being used for multiring) doesn't answer the call. If you weren't required to press 1 to answer the call, it's highly possible that the call would be answered by the voicemail of the other line rather than the ooma voicemail answering the call.
#12677 by bwebbe
Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am
While I understand and can appreciate why the 'Press 1' feature as part of the 'Multi-ring' offering was implemented; I'd prefer to be able to turn it off.

I find the feature inconvenient, and when I have this multi-ring'd to my mobile, it can be a hazard whilst I drive and attempt to use my mobile 'hands free'.

I'd much prefer to be able to just answer the phone as I normally would under any circumstances.

As to the arguement of preventing the other voicemail service from picking up the line and answering it; to keep the OOMA voice mail service as the primary, that's fine, but I don't need it.
Either voicemail is fine; in fact, if I'm on my mobile, it is much easier for me to retrieve my mobile voicemails than my ooma voicemails.

I'm not saying we should completely remove the 'Press 1' option, as that would not fit everyone's needs, but it should be at least an option that we can disable if that works better for those of use that choose to do so.

Thanks
#12684 by dmlanger
Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 am
I actually just called Ooma because i was pressing 1 and it wasnt connecting. I asked to turn it off and he said that there currently isnt away to do so. He said he would put that request of turning off the press 1 for a call in to the internal systen.

There has been a problem with that feature (and others like call waiting-- the person hung up and it kept ringing).

Call Screening is when someone goes to leave you a voicemail you can listen in and pickup if necessary.

Alternatively if you use google voice and their upcoming extensions, you'd be able to get around this problem quite easily.