Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#10419 by heplerd
Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm
But...why does someone in my number's local area have to dial 1(area code) number in order for this local call to go through?

Previously, with another VOIP carrier and this same number, local people only had to dial the number and could forgo the 1 + area code.

Thanks!
#10454 by ggilman
Fri May 29, 2009 10:28 am
niknak wrote:There is a check box in the lounge to enable 10 digit dialing

Don't think that is what he is saying. He is talking about people calling in, not calling out.

Initially I was thinking it had to do with area codes containing multiple local calling regions. Going between regions, even within the same area code, becomes a long distance call and as such, the area code must be dialed. However, if you have a ported number that worked fine previously, I'm stumped.

This could still be the issue I guess, but it would mean somehow ooma would have associated your phone # with a different local calling area within your area code. Normally this isn't possible since the prefixes are defined by the local area, but potentially something odd happened in your port? I'd call ooma's customer service and ask them. You don't want all your friends paying long distance just to call you.
#10458 by heplerd
Fri May 29, 2009 11:30 am
I think your right. Something very odd is going on. I am curious whether or not someone calling me from a local area is charged an "out of area" fee.

I'll have to give CS a call and run it by them.

Thanks.