Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#111378 by epopper
Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm
My OOMA is about a year or two old. It worked great for a long time and now without a pattern, becomes intermittent. Sometimes it will have a dial tone and others it won't. When it is "off," the flower symbol turns red and flashes. It will only reset if I unplug and re-power.

This is a huge problem for me and a deal breaker as I am on call with work and need to have consistent service. I don't want to go back to the phone company and $80+/month but I may have to.

Does anyone know how to fix it or do I need a new one?

What is the warranty on these and how is OOMA's product support?

Thanks,

Eric
#111380 by Leeway
Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm
Have you done a complete reboot of everything from the bottom up? If not, please try it.

Unplug power from the modem, router, and Telo

Plug the modem in and wait for 1 minute so that it can completely start up

Plug the router in and wait for 1 minute

Plug the power cord into the Telo
#111381 by epopper
Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 pm
I will try that technique, generally I just unplug and replug the power cord. This does fix it, but only for a day or two and then it fails once again.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Eric
#111382 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:34 am
epopper:
When the Ooma Symbol flashes Red, it usually means that the Ooma Telo isn't receiving the Internet signal.

That usually means that the Modem or Internet provider signal is defective (usually the Modem).

Check your Modem manufacture's manual and see if there is reset procedure. If there is, do the Modem reset procedure per the Modem manufacture's manual.

Note: some Modems contain a battery that must be removed to be able to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check your Modem manufacture's manual to see if there is a battery and if so, how to temporarily remove for reset or reboot.

If the Modem reset or reboot doesn't help, try another Modem. If that doen't help, contact your Internet provider.
#111384 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:30 am
epopper wrote:I didn't mention that my internet works well and doesn't appear to be out while OOMA is inop.

Eric

How is your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#111393 by epopper
Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm
thunderbird wrote:
epopper wrote:I didn't mention that my internet works well and doesn't appear to be out while OOMA is inop.

Eric

How is your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: _____2.85Mbps___________
Upload Speed: ________952Kbps________
Download Consistency of Service __95%______
Upload Consistency of Service _____99%____
Maximum TCP Delay _____131ms________
Jitter you server ____.2ms______
Jitter server you ____.7ms_____
Packet loss: you server_0.0%______
Packet loss: server you __0.0%____
Packet discards ____0.0%_____
Packets out of order ____0.0%_____
Estimated MOS score ___4.2_____

I ran it twice about 30 minutes apart and the numbers were similar.

Eric
#111410 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 pm
Eric:
The Phonepower results are very good. But that still doesn't mean that there isn't interruptions in the Internet signal coming into your house, or interruptions produced by your Modem, or Router if Router is connected before the Ooma Telo.

I would do the Modem reset procedure posted earlier and see if that helps.

If you are using the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi connection, the problem could be there.

If you are using a wired connection to the Ooma Telo Internet connection, make sure that in Ooma Setup, Internet page, that INTERNET Port MAC Address: set to use Built-In:

The Ooma Telo Ooma Symbol will flash red when the Ooma Telo isn't receiving an Internet signal. But on the outside chance that there is something else going on with the Ooma Telo, try an Ooma Telo factory reset.

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware versions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.
#111412 by epopper
Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm
I am all wired. When I get back into town I will run reset procedure.

I did some reading on this forum and I may be in the same boat as others who have had power interruptions and then run into OOMA problems.

I am also going to call my internet provider (ATT) and request a new modem as it is approaching 6 years old.

I'll update my status in a few days.

Thanks for the advice,

Eric