Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#108664 by wizeguy6
Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am
If this doesn't belong here, move it. but I don't see a "Kudos" section.

I'll keep it brief. After ditching my landline service, I considered a few different options. Ended up trying NetTalk. What a miserable 7-month experiment THAT was.

Let me tell you, if you're trying to cut household expenses and you want to convince your family that a voip service will be just as good as a landline, DON'T switch to NetTalk.

Anyway, I'm only about 3 weeks into my Ooma service now. The family thinks we went back to a landline, and people who call us no longer complain. And my dial tone sounds like a video slot machine!

Oh, and even though I haven't needed it, there appears to be ACTUAL CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE helping Ooma customers! What a concept, other companies should take note.

Friggin WOW, Thanks Ooma!!
#108681 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm
wizeguy6 wrote:I'll keep it brief. After ditching my landline service, I considered a few different options. Ended up trying NetTalk. What a miserable 7-month experiment THAT was.

Great to hear you are enjoying Ooma so far.
Any nightmares you want to share while you were with the other guys you mentioned? We have a few folks mentioning this and that but more detail would be better for me to point to later.
#108706 by wizeguy6
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 am
lbmofo wrote:
wizeguy6 wrote:I'll keep it brief. After ditching my landline service, I considered a few different options. Ended up trying NetTalk. What a miserable 7-month experiment THAT was.

Great to hear you are enjoying Ooma so far.
Any nightmares you want to share while you were with the other guys you mentioned? We have a few folks mentioning this and that but more detail would be better for me to point to later.

You bet!!

HORRIBLE latency.
I bought a NetTalk Duo for the Wi-Fi, but the Wi-Fi never worked.
Ridiculously confusing configuration process.
HORRIBLE latency.
Support calls regularly involved MULTIPLE HOURS of hold time, if you actually chose to hold.
Emails to Support would take DAYS for an answer, and if would typically be a canned answer rather than something helpful.
Arbitrary/inexplicable call dropping, or one side would lose lose vox.
Did I mention the HORRIBLE latency?

Now, to be fair, the device DID stay connected pretty reliably (via cable rather than Wi-Fi). And it WAS cheap.

But compared to my Ooma experience thus far, the difference is dramatic.
#108720 by MapleOne
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm
I came from Bell and left them after I was notified my home Bill was going to $64 per month.

Now I pay under $15 for taxes and premier.... Yipee
Of course now I get the we miss you phone calls and letters from Bell but when previously complained about the price all they offered was to cut the services.

HeHeHe... I was getting my new cell phone and the people at the Bell store had never heard of Ooma. After I left I swear two of their sales reps told me they were signing up.
#109038 by vegetto
Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 pm
saw this thread, had to add my .02 cents.

i had Time Warner Cable. reputable, popular, expensive. service should be good right? not so much. i had more dropped calls and inconsistent service with them than anybody else. i've only had ooma for a little over a month now and there has only been one dropped call. not sure if it was on my end or not, but assuming that it was, i changed the setup from modem-router-ooma to modem-ooma-router. (if anyone wants to chime in on which setup they use and why, i'd like to know!). i have yet to drop a call with that setup. not to mention, everytime i go to use the phone there is a dial tone instead of nothing.

i've read that using ooma for faxing is horrible. i don't fax at home, although i still have one. i imagine ooma would come up with a fix for this soon. another problem i've read about is porting existing phone numbers takes an unimaginable amount of time. again, this wasn't a problem for me since i opted for a new phone number (my old number that i had for 6 years used to be the phone number of an eye doctor that i would still get phone calls from their patients)

anywho, all of this rambling aside, ooma is by far better than i thought it would be. i made sure i kept the receipt because i was sure i would be taking this back within the 30 days. i was very surprised.

sidenote: i do feel like i should share one more thing. for people that like getting things for free or almost free, for tv service, check out playon.tv. great product, with the right user ;) i cut my cable tv subscription years ago for this service. and now with home phone out of the picture, i only have internet. and once google fiber gets to my house (i live in kc), i can dump time warner altogether.
#109040 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 pm
vegetto wrote:if anyone wants to chime in on which setup they use and why, i'd like to know!

For the longest time, I had Ooma ahead of my router. I am now after router and I can't tell any difference. My router does QoS by MAC/IP so it was an easier decision for me.

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference
If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403
If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

vegetto wrote:i've read that using ooma for faxing is horrible. i don't fax at home, although i still have one. i imagine ooma would come up with a fix for this soon. another problem i've read about is porting existing phone numbers takes an unimaginable amount of time.

I have a Hub and Telo. I can fax fine with both. A lot of the faxing reliability has to do with internet, fax machine etc.
Fastest porting on record for Ooma is 3 days by AT&T. Things should be very similar in Canada. Sometimes, porting takes weeks. The duration is not all up to Ooma; other parties are involved too; Ooma's carrier plus losing provider and losing provider's carrier if exists.
#110287 by Fort Wayne Bill
Sun May 26, 2013 11:27 am
Ooma is my first experience with a non-landline home phone...and it's wonderful!!!! The installation process was very quick and easy. The setup of MyOoma account didn't take long at all. The porting of my old telephone number to Ooma from Frontier Communications here in Fort Wayne took only four (4) days. I was VERY PLEASED with that. The calls (both incoming and outgoing) are crisp and clear, challenging the quality of all the landlines I've ever had...and I'm 70 years old so I've had a few. Ooma Support has been very helpful when I have had need to call them. I have been monitoring the Ooma Forum for some time, now, even before I hooked up my Hub (did not, however, install the Scout as I don't see a need for it. Maybe I will later). Comments are all interesting and many are very helpful. This is only my second posting on the Forum. I'm sure it won't be my last. :D :P
#110291 by lbmofo
Sun May 26, 2013 12:21 pm
Fort Wayne Bill wrote:did not, however, install the Scout as I don't see a need for it. Maybe I will later

Welcome Bill. If you don't have DSL, you can install your Scout even without doing anything to your house wiring. Just connect Hub's "wall" port to one of the walljacks. Then at any other walljack, connect it to Scout's "wall" port. If nothing else, Scout can serve as remote voicemail station away from the Hub.