Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#106053 by brunning
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm
lcurrens wrote:Recently I have been having very bad behavior of the phone. I keep rebooting it but it doesn't help. Some calls work fine, others it will ring once (either an outgoing or incoming call) and then nothing - no dial tone, no voice, just silence.

I am really unhappy with it. I've had it for about a year and it has worked pretty well up until recently.

I have been experiencing a very similar problem. It started about 4 days ago. People call me and it rings and then I answer and nothing is there, just silence. I place a call out and it rings and then nothing is there, just silence. People call me and do not even get the voicemail to leave a message, just ringing. I have had the phone just over a year. I reboot the ooma telo and then I can make and receive calls just fine but then the problem starts to happen again sometimes in as little as one hour. I called tech support and he had me change the upload setting on the telo unit to 768 today, so we will see if that helps.
#106061 by brunning
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:29 pm
Tom B wrote:On which of your 2 devices is this happening? Can you give some approximate call times with timezone?

I have 2 telo devices and use one for phone and one for fax.

I thought it was just happening on the phone device, but this morning I tried to call tech support from my fax device and it did the same thing... ring and then just silence. I dialed the number again without rebooting the telo device and the call worked fine, so this is the first time I did not have to reboot the device to successfully make a call after experiencing the "ring and then silence" problem.

Sorry I forgot to answer your two questions: Pacific Time and apprx call time this morning was 10:20am
#109317 by kornbred
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 am
lbmofo wrote:
pippy wrote:I am technically challaged, so explain like you are talking to your mother.

Okay pippy, welcome to the forum by the way. Let's try this again.

If you have a modem and router, let's do this first....

Turn off your Ooma (unplug the power), disconnect everything from it including the phone.

Plug an ethernet cord into Ooma's "To Internet" port. Plug the other end of the ethernet cord into one of your router's LAN ports (you should have a few LAN ports on the router, the 1 and only 1 WAN port should already be connected to your modem).

Plug your phone into your Ooma's "phone" port.

Power off (unplug power cord) your router, wait about 15 seconds, plug power back into router, wait a couple of minutes.

Power up your Ooma (plug power in) and wait til all buttons become blue.

Try calling out. If you are calling a number with same area code as your Ooma number, dial only 7 digits (don't dial area code). Let us know how that goes.

Thank you lbmofo I was searching and searching for a solution to my problem and I came across your solution. It worked!
Now I just want to know why, all of a sudden, I had this problem. I had the ethernet cable connected between one of the WAN ports on my router/modem and the "to home network" port on my Ooma. And my phone has been connected to the "to internet" port on my Ooma since I initially setup my Ooma. It worked for the most part except when power hiccups caused me to reboot router/modem and Ooma Sequentially. That normally fixed the problem but not this time. Thank you for your solution because it worked. I am grateful.
#109321 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 am
kornbred wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
pippy wrote:I am technically challaged, so explain like you are talking to your mother.

Okay pippy, welcome to the forum by the way. Let's try this again.

If you have a modem and router, let's do this first....

Turn off your Ooma (unplug the power), disconnect everything from it including the phone.

Plug an ethernet cord into Ooma's "To Internet" port. Plug the other end of the ethernet cord into one of your router's LAN ports (you should have a few LAN ports on the router, the 1 and only 1 WAN port should already be connected to your modem).

Plug your phone into your Ooma's "phone" port.

Power off (unplug power cord) your router, wait about 15 seconds, plug power back into router, wait a couple of minutes.

Power up your Ooma (plug power in) and wait til all buttons become blue.

Try calling out. If you are calling a number with same area code as your Ooma number, dial only 7 digits (don't dial area code). Let us know how that goes.

Thank you lbmofo I was searching and searching for a solution to my problem and I came across your solution. It worked!
Now I just want to know why, all of a sudden, I had this problem. I had the ethernet cable connected between one of the WAN ports on my router/modem and the "to home network" port on my Ooma. And my phone has been connected to the "to internet" port on my Ooma since I initially setup my Ooma. It worked for the most part except when power hiccups caused me to reboot router/modem and Ooma Sequentially. That normally fixed the problem but not this time. Thank you for your solution because it worked. I am grateful.

The "To Internet" port of Ooma needs to connect to the source of internet (Modem's LAN port or Router's LAN port).
The "Home Network" port of Ooma....if Ooma is ahead of the router, router's WAN port needs to connect to it. If Ooma is after the router, nothing should be connected to it.
Phone should be connected to the "Phone" port of Ooma.