Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#105892 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 pm
How do I determine my problem? My ooma just quits. You can't call out and no one can call in, so if I unplug everything, as I'm told then the internet is down also. My head is spinning. I can't tell if it is ooma or Time Warner, and getting hold of Time Warner is like pulling teeth. So I don't have a clue to which is causing the problem....how do I find out? I am technically challaged, so explain like you are talking to your mother. Thank you.
#105894 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:05 pm
pippy wrote:How do I determine my problem? My ooma just quits. You can't call out and no one can call in, so if I unplug everything, as I'm told then the internet is down also. My head is spinning. I can't tell if it is ooma or Time Warner, and getting hold of Time Warner is like pulling teeth. So I don't have a clue to which is causing the problem....how do I find out? I am technically challaged, so explain like you are talking to your mother. Thank you.

Try temporarily connecting your Ooma Telo Modem-Router-Ooma. This way you can use a computer connected to the Router to check to see if the Internet is working, like accessing a site like Google.

To reconnect Modem-Router-Ooma, remove power from all three devices. Reconnect Modem-Router-Ooma.
Using this connect, nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to temporarily connect a computer to access Ooma Setup.
Repower the Modem first. Nest when the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.
Next test surfing to the Google site and make and receive phone calls.

If this connection works for your, you can leave it connect this way. This is the way My Ooma Telo is connected, and has been for a few years.
#105895 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:07 pm
If you go look at your modem, usually, there should only be 1 light blinking (indicating internet traffic going on); all other lights should be on. If you find most of the lights off and one or some blinking, your internet is down.

You can call your internet service provider to see if your neighborhood is out or just you. They can take a look at your modem and tell you.
#105898 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm
Thank you Ibmofo and Thunderbird. I have 4 lites on and 1 blinking. And Thunderbird I will try your suggestion and will get back to you. Obviously my internet is working right now. But the ooma still is not? So I will try switching things out and see where that gets me.
#105899 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm
If internet is working and Ooma is not, try first unplugging power to Ooma and then powering back up.
#105903 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm
OK, so this is freaky....I did everything you told me to do Thunderbird. Internet is fine. So I tried to make a call with ooma and here's what happened. The phone rang twice then it sounded like nothing happened and I was about to hang up and I could hear what sounded like a advertisement on the tv. Hard to understand, but it was loud. So needless to say, my phone call did not make it. I'm just about ready to go to my more expensive but very reliable land line phone company. Sure I have a cell phone....doesn't everyone? But I am not about to rely solely on a cell phone but it looks like I can't rely on ooma either.
#105904 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm
pippy wrote:I am technically challaged, so explain like you are talking to your mother.

Okay pippy, welcome to the forum by the way. Let's try this again.

If you have a modem and router, let's do this first....

Turn off your Ooma (unplug the power), disconnect everything from it including the phone.

Plug an ethernet cord into Ooma's "To Internet" port. Plug the other end of the ethernet cord into one of your router's LAN ports (you should have a few LAN ports on the router, the 1 and only 1 WAN port should already be connected to your modem).

Plug your phone into your Ooma's "phone" port.

Power off (unplug power cord) your router, wait about 15 seconds, plug power back into router, wait a couple of minutes.

Power up your Ooma (plug power in) and wait til all buttons become blue.

Try calling out. If you are calling a number with same area code as your Ooma number, dial only 7 digits (don't dial area code). Let us know how that goes.
#105906 by pippy
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:52 pm
I quit! I did everything you've told me to do. Internet is working...omma is flashing red. This is just too frustrating. Thanks for all the help tho.
#105907 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm
Leave Ooma up for a bit, it might be downloading firmware.