Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#101015 by 8454930157
Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:12 pm
Is there a way to see if my telo is uplinked to the Ooma servers via the web portal? I'm frequently away and I believe I'm having intermittent issues with my ISP. I'd like to be able to see if my Ooma Telo is losing connection to the Ooma servers. Any way to do that? Thx.
#101017 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:02 pm
In Ooma Setup, Click on the Status Tab. You can see if everything is connected there. Access to Ooma Setup is discribed in the following procedure.

If you are having connection problems, if you haven't done so, change MAC address setting from Automatic to Use Built In per the following procedure:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#101018 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 pm
If your Telo is offline or not connected, even if you set it up so you can access the setup page from outside your home, won't do you any good right?
#101019 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 am
8454930157 wrote:Is there a way to see if my telo is uplinked to the Ooma servers via the web portal? I'm frequently away and I believe I'm having intermittent issues with my ISP. I'd like to be able to see if my Ooma Telo is losing connection to the Ooma servers. Any way to do that? Thx.

One way is to:
Install a copy of Timbuktu or pcAnywhere on your home's computer, and a copy on your laptop that you travel with.
Connect your Ooma, Modem-Router-Ooma. Reserve an IP address with a permanent lease in our Router, for the Ooma Telo. In Ooma Setup>Advanced page, Port Forward 172-27-35-1 port 80.

Then using an Internet connection from outside of your home's LAN, using Timbuktu or pcAnywhere, access and control your home's computer using the laptop computer.
(For setting up Timbuktu or pcAnywhere, you can do this with both computers connected to your home’s LAN. But to make sure that Timbuktu or PC Anywhere passes through your Router’s firewall, you must test from an outside Internet connection).
After connecting to and controlling your home's computer, using your laptop computer, enter the IP address that you assigned to the Ooma Telo in your Router (example http://192-186-xxx-xxx), in your home’s computer browser window to access Ooma Setup, and then click on the Status page tab to view the Ooma Setup Status page.

Note: when you are traveling, you must leave your home's computer running, with the Timbuktu or pcAnywhere application running, for access from the outside to work.

It probably is much better to try to fix the Internet connection problem, then to try to access Ooma Setup while on the road. Because if it is a Modem or Internet problem, you still probably won’t be able to access your Home’s LAN to view the Ooma Setup Status page.

Most often the problem that you are having is caused by the Ooma Setup MAC address setting, or a malfunctioning Modem.
For a Malfunctioning Modem, access you Modem owner’s manual and see if you can do a Reset. If so, do a Modem Reset or Reboot for the Modem per the Modem Owner’s manual procedures.

Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot.