Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#94131 by twistedchaos
Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:34 pm
Currently I'm trying to set up my OOMA with the following configuration.

Motorola SBG900 (Wireless Router/Modem Combo W/ 1 Ethernet Port) -> Keebox SFE08 (8 Port Switch) -> OOMA Telo.

The switch is the newest addition to the configuration. I just want it so that I can plug in some other devices, and keep my router/modem on the outside of the network. I figured adding in a switch would be no problem because it should just act as a port multiplier correct? I just keep getting a busy signal. any ideas?
#94134 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:48 pm
twistedchaos wrote:Currently I'm trying to set up my OOMA with the following configuration.

Motorola SBG900 (Wireless Router/Modem Combo W/ 1 Ethernet Port) -> Keebox SFE08 (8 Port Switch) -> OOMA Telo.

The switch is the newest addition to the configuration. I just want it so that I can plug in some other devices, and keep my router/modem on the outside of the network. I figured adding in a switch would be no problem because it should just act as a port multiplier correct? I just keep getting a busy signal. any ideas?

Can you connect two computers to the switch and they both work at the same time?

Are you using an Ooma Telo and are the lights all blue when connected to the switch?

Is the NAT enabled in the Router?

Have you enabled a DHCP lease in th Router for the Ooma Device.
#94136 by EX Bell
Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:05 pm
My father in law has one of these. Their finicky. The spec sheet shows it has NAT and DMZ capabilities, but not QoS. This will likely be an issue for you with voice quality if you don't have control over quality of service. I don't know how many network ports you need, but my advice would be to purchase a router with a 5 port LAN switch in it that has QoS capailites. If you purchase a one of the Cisco routers I'm about to recommend, you will have everything you need and will have better wireless capabilies (Wireless N) than the Motorola Surf Board is giving you.

I recommend Cisco Linksys routers. The older models are affordable and as long as you either mount them vertical or add raised feet to allow good air flow, they are excellent performers, with great features. A Cisco Linksys 320N is a fine router, for about $35 used or a Cisco Linksys E2000 for $30 used. Better still is Cisco Linksys E3000 because you can have simultanious and separate Wireless G and N trasmission, so wireless N won't slow down when a G client connects. Linksys has turned out some good routers and in my opinion, they've only gotten better since Cisco bought them. You can find an E3000 for about $55 used. Cisco is a large part of the internets backbone. In my industry, the professional network switches are always Cisco.

Find the manual for the Motorola SBG900 and configure it so the Cisco Linksys is in the DMZ. Then follow my guide here and put the Ooma Telo into the DMZ of the Cisco router. That way it has unimpeded access to Ooma's servers, but the rest of your devices on the LAN or WiFi network are behind the Cisco Linksys router's firewall.

When you connect the Cisco Linksys router to the Motorola SBG900 LAN, unplug the Motorola for a minute. After plugging it back in, wait for it's normal status lights. It's not enough to hit the power switch on the top of it. You have to pull the power connection from the back of it like you would with your Telo. When it's done, plug the Cisco Linksys router in and wait for it to finish initialization. When that's all done, then plug in the Ooma Telo and wait for it to finish its business. If your Telo wasn't unplugged before you started, unplug it for 2 minutes and then plug it back in. Everything should work fine from there forward.
#94139 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 pm
lbmofo wrote:Should be no problem.

Sorry, didn't catch your last bit about getting busy signals. Your setting with switch should work so power cycling everything should be the first thing to try. Power down everything, then power up modem, wait until online, then next device inline (which is your switch), then the next etc.