Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#93454 by richvanv
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:08 pm
Hey dev team.
Here is a new one for you.
I received a call today (2/28) that got through the call screening filters (privacy, blacklist, etc).
The callerid shows as NONE in my call log.
I am unable to add it to my blacklist because the number (NONE) is in an invalid format.
This kind of call should NOT even get through.
If the phone number is not in a valid format, numeric, etc. it should not be allowed to connect.
Last edited by richvanv on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#93455 by jcanavera
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm
Interesting that you noted this. I have a number that I black listed. It shows up as 1201 on the caller ID number with the name anonymous. It rang through the other day and even though the number is in the black list, the caller name for the call showed as unknown. My call log shows red in the symbol that represents the number is in the black list. What it looks like is if the caller name is different than the name in the black list but the number matches the black list, the call will be flagged in the call log as being in the black list, but the call is passed through and allowed to ring.

This defeats the black list handling of the call if the calling party name goes from unknown to anonymous. I guess to make this work, you have to store the number multiple times in the black list with all the caller name variations?
#93471 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:56 am
jcanavera wrote:Interesting that you noted this. I have a number that I black listed. It shows up as 1201 on the caller ID number with the name anonymous. It rang through the other day and even though the number is in the black list, the caller name for the call showed as unknown. My call log shows red in the symbol that represents the number is in the black list. What it looks like is if the caller name is different than the name in the black list but the number matches the black list, the call will be flagged in the call log as being in the black list, but the call is passed through and allowed to ring.

This defeats the black list handling of the call if the calling party name goes from unknown to anonymous. I guess to make this work, you have to store the number multiple times in the black list with all the caller name variations?

I think the blacklist function works off of number only, doesn't matter what the name is. Since Ooma blacklist allows non 10 digit number to be added, the filtering should work and not ring your Ooma. I'd call customer service to have them look into it.
#93489 by richvanv
Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 pm
I contacted Level I tech support before I posted to this board.
I reached out to this board to gain traction and make OOMA and its customers aware of this.
The guy at Level I basically said they can't (or would not) do anything until it happens a total of 3 times.

Anything that defeats the blacklisting, privacy settings should be looked into.
OOMA technology is great but it is only as good as we (the users) and the programming team make it.
Heres hoping someone will look into this.
#93490 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:29 pm
richvanv wrote:The guy at Level I basically said they can't (or would not) do anything until it happens a total of 3 times.

Doesn't seem right.
You have the blacklist record add (datetime) less than blacklisted number in call log. What other info would you need?
#93596 by richvanv
Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:05 pm
Okay.
Just got another one of these calls a few minutes ago.
I did hear enough of it to know that this is a political type call.
I know these calls are exempted from the DNC list but we need to know who you are so we can block you!

Putting in 2nd call to OOMA tech support.
#93761 by richvanv
Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:45 pm
OOMA support team lets get things moving here.
I have not heard back on this and it has been over 48 hours now.
This is very BAD customer service.
Considering going over to Magic Jack is this is not resolved.

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 24 hours.

Question Reference #120305-001110
Summary: Calls with no phone number - 2nd request for help
Date Created: 03/05/2012 11:44 AM
Last Updated: 03/05/2012 11:44 AM
Reason For Call (2):
#93772 by richvanv
Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm
Yes. Everything is set to its highest level as far as privacy, community and personal blacklists.

Here is a screen shot of the entry along with the "error" I get when I attempt to add it to my blacklist.
Attachments
oomaerror.jpg
oomaerror.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 24287 times
#93774 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:40 pm
To add an entry to Blacklist, the number field must be a valid number. So your "None" can't be added.

Go here: https://my.ooma.com/privacy

and make sure "Enable Anonymous Call Block" is checked with treatment specified, save.

You can test if your anonymous call block is working properly by calling yourself with *67 dialing prefix from your cell phone.