Porting number from AT&T questions.

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
smorg007

Porting number from AT&T questions.

Post by smorg007 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am

I have had my Ooma for several weeks and have been satisfied with the quality. My question is this. When I port my AT&T number will AT&T assign a new number to my hard line. I don't plan on canceling my hard line until I know my new number is in fact working on my Ooma phone.
Thanks in advance for the help.

murphy

Re: Porting number from AT&T questions.

Post by murphy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am

smorg007 wrote:I have had my Ooma for several weeks and have been satisfied with the quality. My question is this. When I port my AT&T number will AT&T assign a new number to my hard line. I don't plan on canceling my hard line until I know my new number is in fact working on my Ooma phone.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Porting out your AT&T number will automatically cancel your AT&T account.
If you have DSL from AT&T you have a problem to solve.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm

If you do have DSL service, you need DRY LOOP DSL sometimes called "Naked" DSL. In other words, DSL without phone service.
Start here...AT&T Just DSL
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

jcanavera

Post by jcanavera » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Here in the midwest, porting the AT&T number automatically canceled the voice line and DSL. AT&T customer service said I could not keep the DSL active if I ported the phone number. So I asked if I could install a new DSL line (naked) prior to the port. They said I had to wait until the existing voice line and DSL were cancelled because their system would not allow a naked DSL order to a residence with a voice circuit. To make it worse a new DSL line was going to carry a $3 additional charge because I wouldn't have a voice line attached to it.

So I made it easy and cheaper. I ordered a 15 meg DSL line from Charter Communications for $19.99 for the next 12 months, and $29.99 thereafter. Speed tests show a 18 meg download speed and 3 meg upstream. Price for a naked 6 meg DSL line from AT&T is $46.

Jack