Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#92463 by smorg007
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 am
I have had my Ooma for several weeks and have been satisfied with the quality. My question is this. When I port my AT&T number will AT&T assign a new number to my hard line. I don't plan on canceling my hard line until I know my new number is in fact working on my Ooma phone.
Thanks in advance for the help.
#92470 by murphy
Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am
smorg007 wrote:I have had my Ooma for several weeks and have been satisfied with the quality. My question is this. When I port my AT&T number will AT&T assign a new number to my hard line. I don't plan on canceling my hard line until I know my new number is in fact working on my Ooma phone.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Porting out your AT&T number will automatically cancel your AT&T account.
If you have DSL from AT&T you have a problem to solve.
#92584 by EX Bell
Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 pm
If you do have DSL service, you need DRY LOOP DSL sometimes called "Naked" DSL. In other words, DSL without phone service.
Start here...AT&T Just DSL
#92659 by jcanavera
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm
Here in the midwest, porting the AT&T number automatically canceled the voice line and DSL. AT&T customer service said I could not keep the DSL active if I ported the phone number. So I asked if I could install a new DSL line (naked) prior to the port. They said I had to wait until the existing voice line and DSL were cancelled because their system would not allow a naked DSL order to a residence with a voice circuit. To make it worse a new DSL line was going to carry a $3 additional charge because I wouldn't have a voice line attached to it.

So I made it easy and cheaper. I ordered a 15 meg DSL line from Charter Communications for $19.99 for the next 12 months, and $29.99 thereafter. Speed tests show a 18 meg download speed and 3 meg upstream. Price for a naked 6 meg DSL line from AT&T is $46.

Jack