Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#93551 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:38 am
jw56947 wrote:I cannot be absolutely sure that the modem is working at the time since it is a momentary disruption and I would have to be watching the modem lites. I am not sure how to check to see if the ISP has changed the address. Is it common for them to do this more than once per day?

The first thing to do for Internet disconnects is to change the MAC address, in Ooma Setup, from Automatic to Use Built In. If you haven't do so, do it now. The procedure is in the second post of this thread.

Next you Modem or Internet signal may be defective. Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure for the modem. Note: some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed before a reset or reboot can be successfully accomplished. If the reset or reboot doesn't help, borrow or purchase a new modem and test. If that doesn't help you may have to contact your Internet provider and report the problem.

If the modem reset doesn't help, also do the following: run Phonepower Speed test per the procedure below and post results.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

You can check to see if the IP address that your Internet provider issued to you changed by running http://www.speedtest.net/ and viewing the lower left corner of the page, which shows the Internet provider name and IP address that is in current use.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
#93552 by turbo9
Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:39 am
I cannot be absolutely sure that the modem is working at the time since it is a momentary disruption and I would have to be watching the modem lites.

Since your problems seems to be happening at predictable times, you might want to be on the computer with some web page up and just hit reload during the period when it normally drops. If the page does not reload immediately when the call drops, your connection has likely dropped.

I am not sure how to check to see if the ISP has changed the address. Is it common for them to do this more than once per day?

You could either connect to your router / firewall if you have one, or your Ooma box and see it if says it got a new lease about the time the calls drop. If you don't know what I am talking about, just point your browser to a site like this every day:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Is it common for them to do this more than once per day?

This is up to the ISP. All my local ones say that the IP will change, but in my experience, they rarely bother to change them. It might change once a year and that is more likely to them doing something within the network as opposed to just screwing with me.
#93658 by jw56947
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 am
The first thing to do for Internet disconnects is to change the MAC address, in Ooma Setup, from Automatic to Use Built In. If you haven't do so, do it now. The procedure is in the second post of this thread.

Next you Modem or Internet signal may be defective. Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure for the modem. Note: some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed before a reset or reboot can be successfully accomplished. If the reset or reboot doesn't help, borrow or purchase a new modem and test. If that doesn't help you may have to contact your Internet provider and report the problem.

Thanks for the information. I had previously changed the mac address to built in but it did not help. Turns out that I had a defective Modem. I replaced the modem and I have not had any issues for two days. Keeping my fingers crossed