Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#91165 by rmeden
Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:57 pm
What happens if you connect

Modem -> Ooma (only).
Router without power.
Phone line disconnected from Ooma.
Connect scanner to PC (using the USB cable you know causes it)

If it happens under those conditions, wireless is the only way to get to the Ooma.

You can then try the aluminum-foil test, but it may be easier to wrap the Ooma in aluminum-foil than the scanner. You may want to try and ground the foil as well.

This reminds me of a story told in an old DEC users group meeting. The VAX (a 80's minicomputer) would crash randomly. Later it was determined it would crash whenever someone flushed the toilet down the hall. It turns out someone improperly used the drain pipe for ground and flushing changed the ground causing a crash. :)

Robert
#93353 by myoomauser
Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am pretty sure that the scanner emits some sort of radio signal but I can't think why it would as it is a pretty basic type scanner. I had tried plugging into a diffeernt socket and connecting it to a laptop via USB cable, but it still does the same thing! I know it's been a while but I had thought this was posted way back, but found it in the "drafts" folder on the forum board. I will try the aluminum foil idea.
#93366 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 am
myoomauser wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions. I am pretty sure that the scanner emits some sort of radio signal but I can't think why it would as it is a pretty basic type scanner. I had tried plugging into a diffeernt socket and connecting it to a laptop via USB cable, but it still does the same thing! I know it's been a while but I had thought this was posted way back, but found it in the "drafts" folder on the forum board. I will try the aluminum foil idea.

I’ve been anxious to hear how you come out with this odd problem.

One thing that I’ve though about; do you use a cordless mouse and keyboard with your computer?