Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#89964 by cmw
Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm
I purchased an Ooma unit a couple of months ago and finally had the chance to install it and get it working today. The installation went fine and the Ooma box is between my internet modem and my router. Phone quality is great. I have high speed cable internet service.

The problem is that I have Netflix and watch it via Roku boxes wirelessly in my home. Now that I have Ooma hooked up Netflix has to pause every few minutes to let the loading catch up so I end up watching 2 minutes and then waiting a minute for it to load another 2 minutes worth.

I've disconnected ooma and things go back to normal with TV watching/internet access.

I'm willing to sacrifice some phone quality to get my internet speed back. Suggestions?
#89967 by Charles R
Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:54 pm
I'd install Ooma on the other side of your router. That way Ooma is more or less out of the loop and you have less possible configuration and performance issues.
#89968 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm
cmw wrote:I purchased an Ooma unit a couple of months ago and finally had the chance to install it and get it working today. The installation went fine and the Ooma box is between my internet modem and my router. Phone quality is great. I have high speed cable internet service.

The problem is that I have Netflix and watch it via Roku boxes wirelessly in my home. Now that I have Ooma hooked up Netflix has to pause every few minutes to let the loading catch up so I end up watching 2 minutes and then waiting a minute for it to load another 2 minutes worth.

I've disconnected ooma and things go back to normal with TV watching/internet access.

I'm willing to sacrifice some phone quality to get my internet speed back. Suggestions?

I would also suggest that you connect the Ooma device to one of your Router LAN ports, for a Modem-Router-Ooma setup.

But if you want to continue to use the Modem-Ooma-Router setup, you have to adjust you Quality of Service settings in Ooma Setup. The procedure follows:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls, while using Netflix.

If you still have problems, set the Ooma Setup Advanced page QoS settings to 70 %, and test.
#90003 by cmw
Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:35 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I've set it up Modem to router to ooma and it seems to be working fine. Still need to do some testing to see how the phone quality is with heavy internet use. I appreciate the help!