Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#85990 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 am
lbmofo wrote:To get news on Ooma status pushed to you, follow Ooma Status on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ooma_status

Great advice. ooma.com was down for me, so could not come here for status... I actually was checking twitter before the update, so tweeted to @ooma_status and that seemed to generate a response.
#85991 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 am
Going forward, Ooma_Status twitter status would have backup coverage so updates should be timely if this type of thing happens again.
#85995 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:42 am
JacobsLive wrote:
The Talker wrote:I came to Ooma.com to get information about Ooma, I disagree with sending folks to another website (twitter) to get Ooma status (uptime/downtime) updates. Perhaps Ooma can install a plugin to the phoBB message-board software so folks do not have to navigate away from the Ooma website to get that information.
Heaven forbid put it on the http://WWW.Ooma.com main page for all to see outage data!

How is that going to help when Ooma.com was down itself like earlier today? I guess updating via twitter or facebook page will also help customers get relevant and upto date information if comapany's website is down. just my 2 cents!

For me twitter meant I could keep track of updates on my smart phone. That was a big plus. I agree ooma.com should have been redirected, but I think the updates on twitter (FB too?) were very helpful.
#86002 by DTR
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:53 am
lbmofo wrote:Going forward, Ooma_Status twitter status would have backup coverage so updates should be timely if this type of thing happens again.

Well, below is part of the official post in the Ooma Status Blog regarding tha actions they would be taking to prevent the lack of communication that happened during the April 13th 2009 outage. Below is direct quote from Dennis P.

"•We have closed a loophole that prevented the product marketing team from being immediately notified about major outages during off-hours. This prevented us from responding in the forums in a timely manner this morning. "

So if this loophole was closed back in 2009 to prevent lack of communication to the customers ..... than I'm not holding my breath that the next time such an outage happens it will be any different than it has been.

Man, at some point you can't give them a pass on the lack of communications to the real world. They failed to communicate as they said they would after the outage of 2009, and thats it period!!! So I just can't accept things will be different next time.

Actions speak louder than words!!!!!!!
Last edited by DTR on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#86004 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:54 am
DTR wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Going forward, Ooma_Status twitter status would have backup coverage so updates should be timely if this type of thing happens again.

Well, below is part of the official post in the Ooma Status Blog regarding tha actions they would be taking to prevent the lack of communication that happened during the April 13th 2009 outage. Below is direct quote from Dennis P.

"•We have closed a loophole that prevented the product marketing team from being immediately notified about major outages during off-hours. This prevented us from responding in the forums in a timely manner this morning. "

So if this loophole was closed back in 2009 to prevent lack of communication to the customers ..... then I'm not holding my breath that the next time such an outage happens.

Man, at some point you can't give them a pass on the lack of communications to the real world. They failed to communicate as they said they would after the outage of 2009, and thats it period!!! So I just can't accept things will be different next time.

Actions speak louder than words!!!!!!!

Good detective work there!
#86009 by DTR
Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:02 am
That Blog also says a LOT of other things they will be doing to address such an outage going forward..... like this statement.

"•Longer term, we are planning to add a second data center in the Midwest/East Coast. "

Well it's been right now almost 2.5 years since the 2009 outage, and they don't have a secondary offsite back-up data center. They posted regarding this current outage that they will be investagating building one now. Well that is obviously what they said 2.5 years ago.....

Go here to read all the stuff they said they would do next time in regards to the outage approx 2.5 years.
https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/04/16/rec ... tion-plan/

again.....
Actions speak louder than words!!!!
#86030 by hdefer
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am
My Ooma is still down in CA . This time the Ooma icon stopped flashing red and all the lights went off. Tried to restart 3 times.
I emailed Ooma for advise, Their auto reply said they would reply in 24 hrs -- that was 36 hrs ago -- still no reply.
#86032 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 am
hdefer wrote:My Ooma is still down in CA . This time the Ooma icon stopped flashing red and all the lights went off. Tried to restart 3 times.
I emailed Ooma for advise, Their auto reply said they would reply in 24 hrs -- that was 36 hrs ago -- still no reply.

If you have an Ooma Telo, when powered, press the lights symbol and see if you can get the lights back.
If you have an Ooma Hub, turn the dimmer knob to see if you can get the lights back.

Let your Ooma device boot as far as it will boot.

If your connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window.

If your connection is modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from the Home port of the Ooma Telo to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window.

The Ooma setup pages opens. Click on Status at lower left side. Following, TO INTERNET port:, you should see Connected: [ 192.168.xxx.xxx ]. If you don't see an IP address, the Ooma Telo isn't connecting to the Internet. If you see an IP address, then go down to OOMA Tunnel:. If that don't say, Connected, then you may have to contact Ooma Customer Support to have them do a "kick Start" of the Ooma tunnel.

:?: Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

More info:

Re: Ooma telo not working after network outage
by bimple » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I spoke with customer service and they determined that my device was not working properly as a result of the outage, and they are replacing my device.

bimple

P
#86050 by hdefer
Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:11 pm
O.K. I followed Custom Support's advise; after hitting the light symbol, all is well and I have a telephone again.
Thanks