Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#85816 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:22 am
murphy wrote:
echelonphoto wrote:Same here in New Jersey....is this the first time this happened? Mine is a business line....can't afford to have this happen

It happened once before in April 2009.
I respectfully submit that a business should have a minimum of two independent phone lines.

Everytime I see Ooma go red, it is almost always my internet. Thankfully, rarely Ooma. Ooma is meant for residential use.
#85817 by feartheturtle
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 am
Dennis P:
Can you give us some idea about what caused the interruption in service? There has been a lot of speculation on various forums as to what was causing the disruption. Thank you.
#85819 by WJBertrand
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:28 am
Mine was all blue this morning at 5:30 AM Pacific when I left for work. They are supposed to port my number today and I wanted to check the porting status and couldn't log in when I got to work until just now. Supposedly a "global" melt down of the system! Not a good start for a new customer like me! :(
#85820 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:31 am
Info only:
My second Ooma Telo has been working for some time.

My main Ooma Telo just came back up and is working again 1:30 PM Eastern.
#85827 by Dennis P
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:40 am
I don't have much I can share right now. We do know that our NetOps teams started receiving alarms this morning around 5:40AM that we were having connectivity issues at our data center. They immediately jumped in and started working to restore access so we haven't had time to analyze the logs and conduct a post-mortem. Somewhat unexpectedly, our main web site https://www.ooma.com (which also hosts the forums), also went down even though it is served out of a completely different site. The two sites should have little to no correlation with each other, so we are still looking into what could have caused this.
#85832 by DTR
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:53 am
There was an official Ooma post on Twitter that seemed to imply that Ooma's internet connection was having troubles and down. Is there not a redundant connection through a completely different provider than your primary path? Why didn't this redundant back up connection kick in for us? is there not a redundant SIP server sitting idle to kick in when it is needed as well?

I read that this same similar thing happened back in 2009 for 6 hours and Ooma used that experience to learn how to not have it happen again. How is this nationwide outage different, and what worked and didn't work from what Ooma learned in 2009?

Thanks,
#85833 by oomg
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:58 am
murphy wrote:
echelonphoto wrote:Same here in New Jersey....is this the first time this happened? Mine is a business line....can't afford to have this happen

It happened once before in April 2009.
I respectfully submit that a business should have a minimum of two independent phone lines.


Yes, April 13, 2009 as I recall. Both Murphy and I (as well as a few others) have commented repeatedly that while very reliable, Ooma is not perfect, and as such, it is important to have a backup plan. That backup can be a landline, cell phone, or even an alternate VOIP service (even MagicJack). Once again, my backup was in place, and thus, suffered only minimal disruption. My bigger concern is losing my internet connection.
#85836 by Dennis P
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 am
DTR wrote:There was an official Ooma post on Twitter that seemed to imply that Ooma's internet connection was having troubles and down. Is there not a redundant connection through a completely different provider than your primary path? Why didn't this redundant back up connection kick in for us? is there not a redundant SIP server sitting idle to kick in when it is needed as well?

I read that this same similar thing happened back in 2009 for 6 hours and Ooma used that experience to learn how to not have it happen again. How is this nationwide outage different, and what worked and didn't work from what Ooma learned in 2009?

Thanks,


We did add a redundant Internet connection after our outage in 2009. It is not yet clear why that did not prevent or allow us to quickly recover from the problem this morning.
#85845 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 am
feartheturtle wrote:Dennis P:
Can you give us some idea about what caused the interruption in service? There has been a lot of speculation on various forums as to what was causing the disruption. Thank you.

You thinking of Apple Store being down around the same time? Some are saying that was just a server issue: https://twitter.com/#!/Gizmodo/status/1 ... 2313184257
#85853 by DTR
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 am
Dennis P wrote:
DTR wrote:There was an official Ooma post on Twitter that seemed to imply that Ooma's internet connection was having troubles and down. Is there not a redundant connection through a completely different provider than your primary path? Why didn't this redundant back up connection kick in for us? is there not a redundant SIP server sitting idle to kick in when it is needed as well?

I read that this same similar thing happened back in 2009 for 6 hours and Ooma used that experience to learn how to not have it happen again. How is this nationwide outage different, and what worked and didn't work from what Ooma learned in 2009?

Thanks,


We did add a redundant Internet connection after our outage in 2009. It is not yet clear why that did not prevent or allow us to quickly recover from the problem this morning.


Thank you for your response!
DTR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests