Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#84277 by tk9867
Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:26 pm
This problem started at Friday, 7/8/2011. My fax does not seem to work. It is connected to the ooma telo directly, and when i try sending a fax, "line error" appears on the fax screen. It is a pretty old fax (5+ years or so), so I'm wondering if it is the ooma's fault or something else, since the problem just started recently.
#84282 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:56 pm
tk9867 wrote:This problem started at Friday, 7/8/2011. My fax does not seem to work. It is connected to the ooma telo directly, and when i try sending a fax, "line error" appears on the fax screen. It is a pretty old fax (5+ years or so), so I'm wondering if it is the ooma's fault or something else, since the problem just started recently.

If you are using an Ooma Telo try using *98 followed by a pause for faxing.

Note: some people don't use a pause; others use two pauses, or ,,s. So you have to consult your FAX machine Owners Manual for the correct "Pause".

Ooma Telo:
*98 - Use G711 Codec w/o Fax mode (This is the mode that some of the other VoIP providers use for their FAXing).
*99 - Data/Fax call (Mode that Ooma uses for Ooma Telo and Ooma Hub).

Using an Ooma Telo, I was trying to fax to the HP FAX test number 1-888-473-2963.

When I dialed *99 pause 1-888-473-2963, my faxes failed to transmit every time.

But when I dialed *98 pause 1-888-473-2963, the FAX went through every time.

Within Five minutes a return fax will come back from the HP FAX test number 1-888-473-2963, to test the return side of your FAX.

If the return fax doesn’t work, try installing a DSL filter in reverse direction, in the phone line to the FAX machine. This has worked for me and others. But for some people it doesn't work.